How important are ohms match up.....

Username: Dumb_guy

Post Number: 1
Like the name say's I'm pretty clueless about most of this stuff. Here's the run down -
I've got an old 12" JL W6 from about 8 years ago, seems to still be good. I've just been given a Digital Audio DA6606C amp. I would like to make the two meet but it doesn't look like they would be happily married...Here are the specs for both:
JLW6- voice coils in series 12 Ohms or 3 if parrallel
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10_12W6_MAN.pdf
Amp-75x6@4 ohms
105x6@2 ohms
210x3@4 ohms

The JL's want 300W which I'm not thinking that this amp will be able to feed. Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1146
Isn't there a way to bridge the amp? If it is, what is it stable at in bridged mode?

Post Number: 2
unfortunately the amp didn't come with any doc's and it appears it is an old model as I couldn't find any spec's on the website. It's a 6 channel amp so the spec's for briding it I believe are what is written above:
210w X 3 @ 4 ohms
105w X 6 @ 2 ohms
75w X 6 @ 4 ohms

other than that, I've got nothing. Any thoughts on where I might find out more info on this thing? Googled it and came up pretty slim...

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 522
It's gonna be pretty tough to hook up 1 sub to a 6 channel amp. Especially since you if you try to bridge it you will be driving the amp at too low of an impedance. I would just sell that amp and look for a different one. That sub is going to be annoying to try to find an amp for as well. Dual 6 ohm subs were made to be used in groups of three. That way you could hook them up to a bridged 2 channel amp. My best advice would be to look for a mono amp that does about 500 wrms @ 2 ohms. That way when it is hooked up to a 3-ohm load it will do about 330 watts rms.

Post Number: 3
If I wanted to use the remaining channels to power additional speakers in the car would it just be better to ditch the sub? I'm not sure it's worth anything anymore but I'm not sure about the amp either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us