Pc power supply to car amp

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know what i need to do in detail. people say i can use a pc supply to power the amp but i have no idea what i need to do with the wires and stuff. pictures would help, if possible.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8436
it can be done, but I strongly reccomend you not do it.
a PC pwoer supply isn't made for sustained high current 12VDC usage, and doesn't have the cooling or current capabilities to do what you really want. You'll cause the amplifier to clip, and worse, stand a good chance of starting a fire.

think on that before deciding to go forward with that idea. You're better off buying a regulated high current AC to DC 13.8VDC pwoer supply.
There are tons of them on ebay.

Unregistered guest
anywhere i can get one in a store

Unregistered guest
a regulated high current AC to DC 13.8VDC pwoer supply i mean

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1121
Ebay...you can find one that puts out 25 amps for around fifty bucks and it's simple to hook up the (+) and (-) terminals due to the binding posts.

EDIT: Fifty bucks might have been too generous...it'll take some time to find it that cheap for a 25amp power supply.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/_Power-Supply_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR10QQsacatZ48708QQcatrefZC6QQftsZ2QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

That's the best part of ebay to search for a power supply...Sorry for the HUGE link! You'll have to copy and paste that into your browser.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8447
radio shack sells one, but it's expensive to get one that puts out at least 40A continuous.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 503
I'm a Ham Radio operator, and I have a 23 and a 50 amp power supply. You'll also want a PS that's clean.

AC power on a scope is wavy, it goes up and down, and it does that about 60 cycles per second. Perfectly clean DC is straight on the scope.

A PS has diodes to cut the bottom half of the AC cycle off, but then you still have the top half of the wave, and that'll cause noise in your amp/radio/etc. You CAN install capacitors accross the outputs to knock out the AC more, but a good PS will already have those. Most noise filters for cars are just a big capacitor! Just a thought!

(Sorry if that was to informative...)

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
Also, computer power supplies are VERY dirty power. They don't have any filtering at all. Pull the lid off one and look at it. There's not much there. Then pull the lid off a "good" PS, and you'll see a lot more filtering going on there. Computers don't really care about how clean it is, they just care that it's DC...

Username: Betard

Post Number: 9
what is the benefit of this?? rather then just running power to the amp the "regular" way?

Unregistered guest
about how much at radio shack
and... what

Gold Member

Post Number: 1123
That was an awesome post, Jake. I'm guessing the Pyramid power supplys are cheaper because they don't knock off the top half of the wave as well?

Unregistered guest
mailto:epic what in the world
any way whats a ham radio operator and whats the regular way

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
What is the regular way? Not sure what you mean? And Radio Shack makes some good ones. Should be fine. Mine are Samlex America. My 23 amp cost me about $100. But it's EXTREMELY clean. Which I need for my radios...

Unregistered guest
whew, i was thinking it would be more expensive, but i can get one, maybe two at that price.
Thanks Jake and Glass and whoever else posted useful info

Username: Liljoe

Post Number: 1
glass i have a question? i just bought 2 kcker cvr12's dual voice 4 ohms-- a guy at the shop is trying to get me to buy a directed audiot d2400 amp. could i get something less and still have the same thumP?

Post Number: 10
regular way meaning power from your battery to your amp. why run the power from A pc power supply in your car?

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
He's talking about in his house.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
I think they originally meant they wanted to run an amp in their house using a pc power supply.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
Jake got it...heh heh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
LOL!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well that seems equally rediculous to me.... I would assume there's a reason why there is such a thing as "home audio" and "car audio"...

but whatever floats your boat I guess....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1138
Car audio can be cheaper than home audio solutions for some. It's subjective.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8455
that directed amp is one of the cheaper good amps around. that'd be one I'd go with as well for CVRs. you want about 400 watts per sub on those.. 300-400. that range.

as for power supplies, Jake has a good point.
the filtering and rectification circuitry of the power supply makes a big difference. One of the reasons my Orion PS100a 100A continuous DC power supply was over $1500 new.

a computer UPS has similar issues, if you ever see specs on those. the cheap ones take DC battery voltage, and make a square AC waveform for the 120VAC output.
The middle of the road ones produce a stepped sinewave, and the best ones produce a "true sinewave" output, where on a scope, it looks completely analog, and not stepped or digital in the output signal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
I tried to keep it decently simple :D. And 100 amps continuous? D@mn, I want one! Is it good clean power? And I bet that's one heavy mofo...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us