Ho alternator or dual battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Chain298

Post Number: 13
i'm running about 1200 watts and the lights are dimming and amp is clipping. i bought an ho alternator from 4alterstart (supposedly direct bolt on) but it didnt fit. so right now im kind of hesitant to buy another alternator. my question is, would a dual battery setup be an alternate solution? and if so would the stock 70 amp alternator be able to charge both of the batteries. i know about all the isolators and all that, i'm just looking for a way to get around having to go through the whole alternator problem again.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1098
The high output alternator would be better. The main reason you would want to do the dual battery setup is if you're running your system with the car off the majority of the time. Otherwise, yeah, the seventy amp alternator will not only have to power your system but recharge another battery, putting more strain on your system.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8438
batteries help when the car is off
alternator does the job when the engine is running.

return that alternator and get 4alterstart to send the right one, or take your money to excessiveamperage.com

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3255
If you have a GM or Ford try www.motorcityreman.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
yeah i sent the alt back to alterstart and they told me that it was the right one for my car, but it wasnt. i was thinking about going to excessive amperage but they told me that they would only warranty their alt for 3 months, so im kinda sketchy about putting that kind of money into something that may go out after a few months and that's part of the reason i was thinking about the dual batteries. and i've got a civic, so it's a little hard finding any decent priced alt's. freakin imports...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
yeah i sent the alt back to alterstart and they told me that it was the right one for my car, but it wasnt. they were real cool about it and just gave me my money back. i was thinking about going to excessive amperage but they told me that they would only warranty their alt for 3 months, so im kinda sketchy about putting that kind of money into something that may go out after a few months and that's part of the reason i was thinking about the dual batteries. and i've got a civic, so it's a little hard finding any decent priced alt's. freakin imports...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
oops sorry about the double post

Username: Drewnashty

Orange, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
When I started killing my battery, it was cheaper for me to just grab a 1 farad cap and that solved it. I had about 700 RMS watts total and around 1300 peak watts at the time. I think the basic rule of thumb with farad to watt ratio is like 500 RMS to 1 farad.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3660
AB, what exactly was your problem? I bought mine from 4alterstart.com.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
the mounting brackets and the pulley didnt match up with the ones on my car. when we finally got it put in the pulley was about a half an inch off.

and i have a 1 farad cap hooked up already and it's not doing anything. i even hooked up 2 farads at one point and still nothing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3680
When you say half an inch off, is that in or out, or was the belt too long?
In my install, I had to get a shorter alternator belt for it.
Caps won't do anything without a HO alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
no it was a half inch off to the left of where the pulley should have been. i kind of expected to need a shorter belt but the pulley was off to the left of the stock one. if we had put a belt to it, it would have shredded in a few rotations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3691
The only way to fix that is via monster garage.
I can't believe Jessy James is marrying that girl, can't remember her name. She's like a saint, and he's just a rebel and bad azz.
I like his show and all, but that guy has some issue. He loves to destroy things. Guess his name fits.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
yeah but the thing is...if you monster garage it, it will void the warranty and all that came with it and then i would be stuck with a pretty expensive paperweight. we were gonna try everything but in the end the best idea was just to get my money back and try something else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us