Where and how to mount amp??

Bronze Member
Username: Carleton

Post Number: 14
So thanks to all your guys help, I installed and set up my amp today. One thing I havent figured out is where to put it in the trunk. I know its better to mount it flat so that it has more heat going straight up. But to do that it takes up more room in my trunk. I'm also concerned with something in the trunk damaging it. If I mount it vertically in one of the trunk's side pocket areas, then its more out of the way.

Also, it looks like the only thing that I can screw it into when mounting it vertically is the plastic-like trunk lining, which I'm not sure is so secure. If I mount it horizontally on the floor, I'd screw it into the particle board. Are there any inexpensive racks that I can buy to mount it to? And if I mount it horizontally is there a way I can protect it from impacts? Like a cage or something?

Thanks so much!

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 657
Mount it wherever it looks good. If your worried about screws, use some industrial strength velcro. There is nothing overly bad about mounting it to the sidewall of the trunk, just make sure its secure.

Most of all, don't mount it to your subwoofer box (if you have one).

Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 1
What kind of car are we talking about?

Any pics of the trunk area?

Here's a pic of the amp in my camaro.

http://home.comcast.net/~zx1100e5/09_amp1.jpg .

http://home.comcast.net/~zx1100e5/15_rear_wall1.jpg

Behind the factory carpeting I have to boards in the shape of a cross. One board is screwed to the trunk wall using sheet metal screws (mounted horizontally). The second board is mounted vertically & screwed into the first. The amp is mounted to this second board. Looks very neat (however, I should of mounted it higher up so I can fit both ttop in).

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 663
Is that a 10" Type R? How does it sound? I just purchased one for my new system and will be running it off a Soundstream Reference 500.

Bronze Member
Username: Blitzedeclipse

Post Number: 47
Check out a hardware store, look around and I bet you can find something that you can work with without damaging your trunk.

Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 7
I don't have much of a reference point since this is the first system I have to ever have a sub.

Yes it is a type R. 10"

Considering that, I think it sounds good. Has enough bass but not over powering. If cranked, the car will resonate nicely.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us