Help with Sub selection. I won't argue with you

Bronze Member
Username: Redrazor

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 21
I'm looking for 2 12's in the 800-1200 range. I have an amp that runs 500 at 4 1,000 at 2 and 1,500 at 1. It's a Hifonics. A brand that a lot of people seem to buy for class D. I'll probably get something better later but for now...

I'm looking for something that's pretty well balanced sql? But maybe a little more to the spl side. My ability to listen to Subs first hand is limited to bestbuy and the one local car shop. I kind of liked the rockfords at BB and the eclipses at the shop. I'm leaning towards getting 2 SW7124DVC-T2's from Eclipse and wiring them to a 2 ohm load. I could get some Rockford T112d4's and wire them down to 1 but I don't know what to do lol. I'm willing to pay up to 300 per sub and I know I can get some good deals on the web. Your suggestions please?

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 22
Plus if you have some good amp + sub combos I wouldn't mind hearing them too. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 524
forget a shop. the overhead they are responsible for makes purchasing anything a ripoff, imo.
i would go straight net.
soundsplinter rl-p 12's for 430.oo/pair.
then you could save up for a better amp, but still use the one you have effectively in the mean time.
my favorite (getting old here) elemental designs nine.1
http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=amps
http://soundsplinter.com/rlp_premium_series_12_and_15_inch_subwoofer.html

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 24
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah about the shop I wasn't ever going to buy there, just somewhere that I could listen to something other than the bestbuy selection.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 531
definately mandatory, lol. i think the aluminums are a good buy online, its just that you could do better buying these other subs directly from the factory w/warranty and all. plus the owner, Mike, is a real down to earth guy who will help you decide the best enclosure for your setup.
it's just the absolute best buy imo.
if i was hip to those rl-p's and the nine.1, i would have those instead of the setup i decided on.

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 314
heyas mike if you still got those brahma.. :P ain't nothing wrong with em so don't be complaining :P jk jk

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 536
oh, i agree. wouldn't trade them for the world. difference is i paid more than 600 for the pair as opposed to 400. would have saved 200.00.
plus there were only 30 of these ever made. they are special edition hybrids with sadhara motors. they look extra killer.
so yeah, i agree 100%.
Upload
can hardly wait to post the pics of them inverted.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4304
I'd take your Brahmhara as well.

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 316
that pic just made me mess my pants... twice.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 25
Thanks for your suggestions again Mike. A simple noob question too if you don't mind? I see a lot of varying differences in frequency response for subs i.e. rockfords was 20-200 and eclipse was something like 20-3,500. Now I know that a speaker will only put out said frequency that is first put into it but why do some companies subs have such a wide variance in response compared to another's of the same size? And what would be a good range for a sub only used for hitting lows? Just curious here I really do like you suggestion and will probably order some of those subs though. Just asking this question because I didn't see it listed on their site... I don't know much about most of the specifications listed for subwoofers obviously.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 26
I also know you can have subs for midbass too but it seems like alot of the lower end companies have a wide range of response in thier woofers or maybe I just haven't seen enough good quality products. If anything I said doesn't make sense just let me know. I'm just looking to get an understanding here and I'm willing to learn.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 27
btw Mike I'm registering at soundsplinter now. Do you want me to put your e-mail in for the referal?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 538
imo, 20-100hz is all that's important. i have never crossed my subs above 80hz. in fact, i currently have them crossed at 61 hz (nothing above 61hz is reproduced by my subs). some test reports take into account a subs ability to play high into the midbass frequencies, but i never understood why they stress it at all.
in fact, what's arguably more significant is the lower end. some subs say they can reproduce down to 20hz, but once they get to 50hz, they get weak and quiet. you can't feel the bass that's being "reproduced." so it's a matter of HOW WELL these frequencies are reproduced.
so the 20-200hz range is fine. the 20-3,500 is fine too. in other words look to the t/s (theile small) factors, and listen to the sub to distinguish how good a sub is. the t/s parameters are a whole different discussion all together though.
http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/params02/params.htm
it takes a bit of practice and experience to get those down. still mastering that myself.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 539
"btw Mike I'm registering at soundsplinter now. Do you want me to put your e-mail in for the referal?"
that must be new. i don't mind.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 28
Thanks for the info.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 543
man, i just can't wait for you to report back with the info on your subs.
in the interim, here is a good test between the RE XXX and the RL-P (i know it's subjective, but the rl-p won).
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83356
FYI, the xxx uses the same motor as the brahma. it's a very identical sub. if you did decide to run w/ the SS, you have good reason to be proud (and bragging rights, lol).
congrats and be sure to email mike regarding the proper enclosure and such for your subs.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 29
Will do. It'll prolly be a month or 6 weeks till I get it all setup.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 548
cool. look forward to it.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl

Post Number: 30
After reading some of a link off of the one you gave me do you think I should just get a 15 instead? What would be the difference between the 2 12's and 1 15....

Bronze Member
Username: Big_lou

Post Number: 50
So that guy was feeding that XXX 750 watts from a hifonics? I thought the XXX only performed above 1200 watts.

Bronze Member

Fort Walton Beach, Fl USA

Post Number: 33
Another question mike. I am definitely going to order some of those subs (again also wondering should I get 1 15 or 2 12's) if not this week then the next but I really want something until I can get them fully setup. At the local shop they had some cheap ($70) powerbass and cerwin vega models that I could wire to a 4 ohm load and combined were 400-500 rms. Which brand would I be better off with (or are they both total junk?) for my short term subs? I already have a prefab box I can throw them in. Of course I'll be making a much nicer box to go with The SS's I'll order online.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 552
i always go two or three 12's.
with two 12's you get more surface area, and thus move more air (greater spl) than a 15" of the same brand.
also, 12's offer a better response (sq).
that's just my personal preference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us