Sledgehammer?

Bronze Member
Username: Maxil223

Post Number: 18
I see mtx makes boxes for there subs, I was wondering if the boxes are perfect for there subs. I also wonder if all the boxes are the same or if they are made for specific models(8500, 9500). Someone told me the only way to get the most out of my 9500 is a snailshell box made by Powered4Sound. But the sledgehammer9500 box is a lot cheaper and I was wondering which would do you guys think is the best option. I havent heard a T9512 in either box so I wouldnt know.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 526
yea the boxes are for specific models their not universal....the sledgehammer is made by mtx so they know what their doing that should produce the best results

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 510
those snail shells are supposed to work wonders. they require an incredible amount of space though.
in case you were interested in building one yourself, here is a design i came accross and saved,
Upload
it is 13.5" wide (exterior), and 12" wide (interior)
and i saw a site w/shells made for just mtx's but i can't find it. if i do, i will post it

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 511
here is a better one i had saved. not the site i was referring to though.
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/555453/2

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 911
A snail shell enclosure needs to be specially designed to the subs parameters that your going to be using. I have no idea what the formulas are and you just can't drop a sub into a snail shell that isn't made for it.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 517
yes, the parameters, not the sub. different subs share similar parameters. particularly qts.
at any rate, as i said, i will attempt to find the mtx snail shell site. it's here i just lost it.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 518
ok, i guess it was http://www.powered4sound.com/ after all. maybe they just had a different home page at the time.
these WERE designed specifically to the 9500's parameters.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
should I fork out the money for the snailshell(having a friend build one), or buy a sledgehammer box specifically built by mtx for the 9512, I think i could get the sledge bopx for 70. And my friend wants 120 for the Snail Shell because some dumbA** showed him the website.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 521
i would personally go w/the shell for the xtra 50, although i am certain you could show up with 100 and he would get it to you. however, like bass said, the sledges are 95oo specific, so just make sure that your shell is made to specs also. imo, it's worth it, particularly if you only have one sub and the space to hold it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i found this sub similar to mine, but it claims its only single voice coil, is this real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5792055661&category=39778 %26%26

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 517
Yes, the 9500 does come in a SVC configuration as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
yea its real because i have the SVC version

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
s the SVC version better or worse? What are advantages and disadvantages of svc vs. dvc.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 547
wiring options.
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#2dvcsp

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
their are no advantages technically the only difference is in how you wire it...i wish i had the dual 4ohm version that way i couldve bought a chaep mono-block amp but i had to buy a 2channel amp and bridge it...but hey for $160 shipped i cant complain :-)

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 912
SVC subs have slightly different parameters then a DVC sub of the same model line and size. There might be possible advantages besides just wiring.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us