JVC KD-G510 problem

Username: Cowtipper

Post Number: 1
I just bought a KD-G510 from best buy. i installed it and it worked fine. About a minute later it stoped putting out sound to the speakers, It was still playing the CD and everyhint on the deck worked fine but no sound. I un-pluged it and checked all the wires, they were fine. Pluged it back in and it worked for about 20 seconds and then did the same thing. Checked wires again, checked speakers. Pluged it back it, it works for aobut 20 seconds. Anoyne have any idea what went wrong? My fron speakers are wired diectly to the deck (old wiring was messed up). I ended up taking it back to Best buy and am getting a new one shipped to me. My rear speakers do not work also. They are factory installed and the wiring is good as long as i know. They worked with the old cd deck (a sony, dont know the model) Could it have been the stereo? I asked around and someone told me that the heatsink wasnt properly seated wiht the op amp (guess the built in amp) and it was overheating and shutting off. Any feed back would be great, first time i installed a cd deck myself. Im driving a 1989 Ford Bronco II also.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1023
Was the unit actually getting hot?

Post Number: 2
it wsant on long enough but i could feel it gain a substantial (a lot) amount of heat before it would shut off, not enough to burn hy hand though that could be normal, the heatsink (on the left side) i didnt feel but the back of it was hot. like i said, i already returned it so if it happens again its most likely a wiring problem not a unit problem. I will post back here when i get it (sunday or monday. Thanks for the help and i still want to figure out if it was acuatally a deck problem. Also, did i mention that the front speakers (those work) are wired directly to the stereo and not though the normal wiring. Back speakers didnt work with the new deck but did with the old on

Post Number: 3
Can u edit posts??

Anyway, there were some extra wires also, a dimmer antenna + and -, and 2 orange wire (one with black strip) the dimmer is also an orange, those were not connected to the stereo, also there was a power antenna out on the stereo. Are all those not supposed to be connected?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
Yes, you can edit posts. You have to go to 'edit profile' near the top left of this page. Once you log in you can find it from there...

If the unit heats up enough to burn your hand in less than twenty minutes then the heatsink probably is disconnected in one way or another.

And no, none of those wires you mentioned need to be connected and aren't the cause of your problem...

One thing you might try is hooking up one speaker at a time and seeing if the deck still continues to shut off sound output after twenty seconds. I have a strong feeling that if it isn't the heatsink, it's definitely a wiring problem.

Post Number: 4
wiring to the speakers? or power wiring? Also it wouldnt stay on long enough for it to burn my hands. The wiring for the front speakers are the wires that came witht the speakers. They are 120 watt max speakers which i dont think would be the problem, stereo is only 50 watts per channel. when i get the new deck, and it still has the same problem ill re-hook up my old one, that i know works and see if the problem still exsists

Gold Member

Post Number: 1040
All right. Yeah, it's the wiring to the speakers, the power wiring should have nothing to do with it.

This is going to require a great deal of troubleshooting, heh.

Post Number: 5
would it work if i re-wired all my speakers, from and back stright to the stereo, by-passsing everything, or is that my problem? And could it by my rear, OEM speakers, or my new ones? if its my rear i can always disconnect them until i get new speakers

Edit: Did i mention that the wiring for the left from speaker is really messed up, when i took the door panel off, a speaker wire had been rewire 9not factory speaker wire) all the way to the fron t of the car and was tied into 2 wires up there, which i presume was also speaker wire (factory) Im not sure if they were mealted or pulled out. I just figured it would work better and be safer to wire directly to the stereo, i then re-wired the right one the same. If i had a digital camera i would take a picture of the connector, the wire were pulled right at the edge of the connector. Is there a way to but just the connector and not the entire cord? If i can do that and thats my problem i will just rewire that and set up the left speaker someway.

Edit again:
I am also using a wiring harness i guess it is that was already installed in the car from a sony (about 5 years old) i just cut the wires off from the crimps that were already on there and re-wired it, each had typing on the wire showing what it was, is that bad?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1044
It's most likely the front speakers that are causing the problem.

If you just re-wired it, that's no big deal, but could be the cause of the problem...possibly a bad connection?

Post Number: 6
a bad connection on both? There are the kind that slides into place (no soldering) and at the stereo end i used wire crimpers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
Yeah, one of those plugs might not be crimped on properly if you did them yourself...i've had similar problems...

I still think it would be a good idea to check one speaker at a time, it would be much easier to pinpoint the problem.

Post Number: 7
I re-wired my left speaker before i returned it and used a male/female slide thingy (just like the speaker connection. And it still did the same thing, When i get the HU ill update on whats going on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well i figured it out, all the speakers now work, it never was the HU, i ended up having to connect my
+ amp turn-on (from the car) to the power wire from the HU. Works great now. Anyone ever heard of that? Also, what should i do with the negative amp turn-on? Leave it un-hooked?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us