Fusing @ALT... @BATT... @AMPS... help please

unregistered
Unregistered guest
HO 170AMP ALT 0/1GA lead to battery... 0/1GA from the batt to trunk... 0/1GA distributed to 2 4GA fused outputs for amps.

First Question..

The directions that came with my HO ALT specifically state: "DO NOT fuse the main lead from the alt to the battery".

But isnt this recomended to do? Do i ignore this or do i comply? (reasons why the directions state this and for your answers that state the contray) What size fuse do i use if i ignore this?

Second Question...

My amps have fuse ratings of 30A x 5 (150Amp total) and 15A x 2 (30Amp total).

What size fuse do i use at the battery on the main 0/1GA lead going to the trunk? What two size fuses do i use for the amps on the distribution block?

Third Question...

What type of distribution block do i use? (depending on what size fuses you tell me too use... if im supposed to use fuses around the rating of the amplifiers.. there is a big gap in amperage between the two amps and fuse styles like ANL, AGU, MAXI dont support both).

Do i have too get two seperate fuse holders.. 1 ANL for the sub amp and either a maxi or AGU for the MIDS/HIGS amp? or is there a distribution block 0/1 to 4GA that can suit my needs?

Please your answers and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 403
1. I've seen both on the alternator. I personally don't worry about it, and I've been a mechanic since I was 17. And I mean I actually worked in a professional shop, and no, I wan't just changing oil :D.

2. You choose a fuse for how big your wire is. You have fuses on your amps and whatnot, so if they draw too much, they'll blow it. But you don't want your wire to draw too much, or it'll get hot and melt. I'd fuse the wire to about 200 amps.

3. You can get any kind. And you don't need to worry about fusing at the block. As long as everything else is fused, and you're not over-drawing off the block.

Hope this all helps!

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 291
so for...

#1 i dont have to fuse the alt to the battery?

#2 the main lead from the bat to the trunk should be fused at what the wire is rated?

#3 i dont need to fuse at the distribution if the amps are already fused?

are those all correct statements?

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 292
i was wondering those as welll .. thanks for the topic

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 408
All of those are correct. And when you fuse the wire from the battery to the amp, fuse it as close to the battery as you can. Within about 12" is plenty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us