Annoying buzzing sounds....

Username: 1991fordranger

Post Number: 1
i have a '91 ford ranger. every time i put a cassette in, these annoying buzzing sounds occur. the radio works fine so i know that it can't be the speakers. i've tried cleaning it but the buzzing still happens. help will be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Ehostler

VA

Post Number: 32
How do the tapes sound (before and after) in a different player?

My first guess would be that you need to run a degaussing tape.

Post Number: 2
the tapes sound find on other players. i've heard of degaussing tapes but what exactly are they and where can i get them?

Post Number: 3
does anyone know what a degaussing is and where can i get one?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1020
You might just need a tape cleaner which you can find at Walmart. Otherwise check ebay.

Bronze Member
Username: Ehostler

VA

Post Number: 33
He said that he has already cleaned it.

The tape is made of mylar and very small particles of metal. Once they are recorded to, they have a magnetic property. That is how the head gets sound from the tape. Over time, the tapes can magnetize the head. This will normally distort the highs and eventually will start to damage the quality of the recording.

You can search the net for head demagnetizers. Quality units will run over $30.

The head could also be worn. This is caused by the tape rubing against it. As it is a layer of metalic particle, it acts like a very fine sandpaper and will wear down the head, over hundreds of hours of play time.

If that is the cause, the only real option is to replace the head unit as it is not cost effective to have it repaired.

The amp circuitry, for the tape head, could also be failing. Again, not really cost effective to have it repaired.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1021
Ah, didn't see that. My bad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us