Splitting an amp

Jeff__
Unregistered guest
In a two channel amp, you can bridge two channels together to one speaker to get double the power than if it only had one channel. Well, I think I have heard of splitting a channel. If this is true, if you had a mono amp would it result in a 50% decrease to one speaker but have the ability to have another speaker that is getting the same power?

I am interested in this because I had just found out that my car has two 4x6 speakers which can get 40 RMS and two 6x9 speakers which can get 100 RMS. The unexpected sizes of the speakers has changed my plans. I also was going to get a head unit which would deliver 22 RMS to each of the speakers. I was going to get a 4 channel amp with 50 RMS to each channelto go along with the head unit and speakers. However, my 4x6 speaker would not be able to handle the 50 RMS plus the 22 RMS. My question is would it be possible to have one channel connected to the 6x9 speaker, one channel connected to the other 6x9 speaker, one channel split and would connect to both of the 4x6 speakers, and the last channel would split and connect to both of the 6x9's to give them additional power. If this is right, it should give the 4x6's 47 RMS each, and both the 6x9's 97 RMS each. Would this be able to work out correct.
Thanks,
Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 199
I'd have to say thats a bad idea. Plus, it won't work. When you "split" a channel, you are essentially wiring 2 speakers in parallel, which decreases the load seen by the amplifier. Your amp will see a 2 ohm load in this configuration (assuming all your speakers are 4 ohm) and will put out 100W rms from this channel. Even if your amp is 2 ohm stable, it seems like run run the risk of damaging it in the configuration your asked about, but I can't speak definatively on that.

Jeff__
Unregistered guest
O.K. Thanks. Is it alright to have the two 6x9's have their own amp and the two 4x6's to have another. I can't think of another way to get the extra power without blowing the speakers or hurting the amp.I'm kind of stuck.
Thanks,
Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 202
If the 4x6 speakers are rated at 50 watts, that probably thats probably the rating for the pair. Each speaker can probably handle only 25 Watts RMS. Your head unit (I'll go out on a limb and guess its a pioneer) can sufficiently drive 4x6 speakers. Then maybe get a 2 channel amp that matches up well with the 6x9s.

Oh btw, i just read an article by AudioControl. Here's an good quote "...you just can't keep connecting speakers to an amplifier unless you're trying to help the amplifier repairman buy a BMW"

Jeff__
Unregistered guest
Nice quote. lol. It said 40 RMS and it is sold in the pair, but I never new the power was for both put together. You were close. Its a Panasonic. Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us