HELP!!!!

Anonymous

I have a thousand watt amp but the highest alternator i can get is a 120amp and the amp has a 120 fuse

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 303
that is fine...1000 watts rms will require 73 amps of power...

amps = watts/volts

amps = 1000/13.8 = 72.5

Your car uses 50 or less...you will be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 638
You may want to get a deep cycle battery as well.

Pay attention to your headlights at night, if they dim significantly you will need more power.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1415
ummm... no amp is 100% efficient.

Class D are 80% if your lucky which means many 1000w Class D amps are capable of drawing 100 amps even at 13.8 volts. At the same time music is dynamic so unless you're playing test tones your amp will not be producing a constant 1000w(drawing 100A). The best thing to do is to have an in-dash voltage meter and keep an eye on it. If the voltage drops below 12.5 volts and stays there simply turn the volume down until it recovers.

Another thing to remember is that many stock alternators produce lil or no current at idle so revving the engine a bit while at stoplights may be beneficial. Me, I simply turn down the volume while waiting for green. You attract a lot less attention from cops and would-be thieves this way.

-Fishy

Anonymous

How will i get more power if my HO Alternator will only put out 120?
that is the highest i can get for a geo tracker

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 421
o sh!t fishys back were you been?...people were just starting to wonder were you went

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1416
If you can't get a bigger custom built alternator I'd make sure you utilize a ported enclosure if you're that concerned with SPL. You can gain 3+ dB in output over sealed which is equivalent to doubling your amplifier power.

-Fishy

Anonymous

How much will a indash voltage meter cost me
How will i get more power if my HO Alternator will only put out 120?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1417
lol, just got back from Colo. No internet access in the mountains for us yet.

Actually was kinda nice.

:-)

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Dtribe

Post Number: 60
Yea i made a Custom Ported Box for my 4 10s but the highest Custom Built Alternator i can get is 120amps
i would get a 200 if i could but 120 is the highest they can make for my car

Anonymous

yea i already have my 4 10s each in a custom built ported box
Will i be oke 120 H O alternator or will i need to add somethin on to it

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1418
I took the digital meter fromk my cap and mounted it in the 1/2 din space beneath my h/u, but many vehicles already have an analog voltage meter(my Explorer has a "H/L" gauge) which can be used almost as effectively. Just get an idea of where the needle is when the car is revved and and electronics aren't running. You should be able to watch the needle "bounce" when the bass hits. If it drops and doesn't recover turn the volume down.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1419
If your Tracker has one of those "needle" gauges just keep an eye on that..... and avoid cranking the tunes at stoplights, at night, in the rain, with the a/c on, etc.

:-)

If you have problems I'm sure you can get a larger custom built jobby from somewhere.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Thanks alot
Will a Cap or Better Battery make much difference?
Nathan @ excessive amperage wants $260 for a 120amp H O alternator
Should i go with that
It seems kinda high for a 120amp

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1420
A better battery only helps when the engine is off and a cap won't help at all.

I paid $170 for a 170 amp alternator for my Explorer, but that was a pretty common alternator. I know there's a couple places that build custom alternators for just about any vehicle. I'm sure there are peeps here that could steer you in the right direction. Expect to pay a good deal more than $260 tho.

It really depends on the music you listen to. If you're litsening to material that has constant bass tones like is found in some rap you may have problems, but if you listen to more dynamic material like rock you may be just fine with 120 amps.

If you find a way to tell when your alternator isn't keepin up(voltage gauge) you can always turn down the tunes. Reducing the volume to what is percieved as "half as loud" reduces power consumption by 1/4th to 1/10th(6-10 dB decrease). In other words if you're cranking the tunes and using 1000 watts, turning it down by half reduces current draw from around 100 amps to as little as 25 or even 10 amps.

Depends on the ear, but turning down the volume works.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
well all i listen to is rap so i geuss i am f+cked and cant have a decent system in my car

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Are theyre any places online u know of that do custom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us