Switched 12V & Ground Question

Silver Member
Username: Swantlaphoenix

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 111
Very soon Im going to be installing a new HU. Now all of wiring for that I understand. Now I also need to install a TV Tuner and a PAC Tr-7 which will both need A 12 V Switched Source. Im not sure where or how to go about this. Would I be able to tap into the switched 12v for the HU? Do I have to find them somewhere else. Also Where would I ground both of these wires (Tr-7 and Tv Tuner). Could I use the same groud wire for the HU, connecting all three grounds in the same place?

Thanks For Your Help

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 996
You can just ground them anywhere to the frame. I would recommend keeping the ground wire as short as possible.

Sure, you can use the ignition wire from the headunit, though you might also be able to tap into a fuse on the fuse block.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 113
But seee the switched ignition wire is already going to the HU. How would I be able to tap that? Not quite sure? Would that draw too much between the two if I ran to things off a 12 volt wire?

Odd question but would I be able to run a 12 V wire into the positve side of my Cap?

Silver Member

Post Number: 998
You want the units powered solely by that 12v wire? You'd need to run new wire before you do that...

Why would you want to run a 12v wire into the positive side of your cap? Isn't one already there? Maybe i'm just not understanding what you're asking, heh.

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 115
lol I mean another little wire for my TV Tuner and Video Bypass Module. I basically need to find two 12v switched wires I guess .I dont understand the fuse block thing and everything either. maybe someone could explain

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 116
By the cap I mean Stick the two little wires into the cap so it can draw the power from that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
So you have the constant wires figrued out? Hmm...you could test the fuses on your fuse panel and see which ones are only on when the car is. Then you could tap into them with a fuse tap.

I wouldn't know about the cap, honestly. I suppose you could...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us