Glass, fuse or circuit breaker when installing a HO alt...

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3182
I got my HO alt the other day, and have a bunch of 4 gauge wire for it. I know you said to go with 2, but I'm only running a 800 wrms amp, and even if I ever do add another component amp, there's no way I'll ever draw close to the 160 amps that the alt is rated for (70 - 80 at idle)

Anways, when I put all the new wiring in, of course I'll need some type of thermal protection. Would a circuit breaker like this work fine, (http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISCB150), and if so, should I put it where the original themal wire was, the ground from engine to chassis, or should I put the breaker right before my battery?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8226
either way but I like using circuit breakers at the alt or battery

that or a fuse will do the job

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3186
That's what I figured. I'd rather just have a breaker anyways; don't have to worry about buying fuses. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3615
Circuit breakers in Canada cost over $130. A fuse costs $7. So you do the math.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 200
Also I heard that the circuit breakers like the one in the link made for cars don't work consistantly after they've been tripped once. Is that right?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8282
I use a klixon milspec adjustable amperage thermal circuit breaker with auto-reset.
it's worked for over 15 years without fail.
you get what you pay for.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3204
Actually, I did look at the Klixon breakers. I just don't know where to get them from... Which series would you recommend thogh? There's a million different types.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3205
And for each series, is it a 'one size fits all' and you adjust it for the amperage you want, or do you have to get one for a specific amperage?

http://www.ebay.com item number 7532094003

They don't say they are rated for a specific size, so can they work for 35 - 150 amps?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us