Back Speakers in Cavalier - too much bass

Username: Rocketman70

Post Number: 1
I have a 2001 Cavalier with a Delco Factory stereo. I really don't want to replace the factory stereo, but am not totally against it. I just want good sound. Currently...when I turn the stereo up a little...the bass really thumps from the back. I think the back speakers have some kind of enhanced bass?? The speakers each have two wires soldered into one side, and then it appears like 4 wires are going to the other side of each speaker with some other piece that converts the 4 wires (from receiver?) to the two soldered to the side of the speaker. Anyone have any experience replacing back speakers in a Cavalier or similar GM Model? Is it the speakers or a junky factory stereo (or both?) Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 232
The 6x9s are firing into the back glass, adding cabin gain to the lowend, probably punchy sounding. Anyway, yes even cheaper aftermarket speakers would sound better.

Alec Beaton
Unregistered guest
As far as the wiring description you provided, it's a little confusing. Also, for TBone, it's not the front of the speakers that's giving him the extra-heavy bass, it what's BEHIND them. Basically the trunk is acting as a large bass-box, which is giving him the increased bass response. Also, GM/Delco stereo's are notorious for giving handfulls of bass, which many people enjoy. Is there's too much bass, and you don't want to change the head unit, just turn down the bass and go from there. Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us