Amplifier draining battery?

JonK
Unregistered guest
I recently installed an amp and subwoofer in my car. I went on vacation for a week and when I got back my battery was completely drained. Could this be my amplifier? and why? I figure that I will charge the battery and unhook the amp cord and see if it stays charged. If it turns out to be the amplifier, what should I do? Should I install a switch on the wire??? Please help! All help will be appreciated....

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 98
What do you have the remote turn on the amp hooked to? Sounds like you have it on constant hot. It should be connected to the remote turn on wire on the headunit.

JonK
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I have it hooked to the remote turn on on the HU. Maybe bad connection?

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 73
It's not about the Amp, when you turn off your HU, your amp is off too. Most likely, your audio system suck more power than your alternator recharge it back to your Battery. So when you shut down both of your car engine and audio system at the same time, there is not much power left in your battery. So your car should have Arlarm right ?? clock ?? or other electronics stuff. Those will drain your battery after a few days.

Anonymous

always wise to disconnect the positive terminal of ya battery b4 u go on ya holidays. So u won't have starting problems when u come back from ya trip (or when u connect back ya +ve batt terminals).

If ya amp remote is connected to ya HU's remote then u have nothing to worry about.

Check with a DMM to make sure it reads 14V (amp section) when the car is running. Below 13V, u have a problem with alt. charging. When car's not turned on, a reading below 12V is also a problem. Is your batt still under warranty? Handy to have a DMM so to check on your batt voltage or sub's ohm once in a while to make sure all is A ok.

JonK
Unregistered guest
thanks for the advice
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us