Speaker wire size?

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 55
does it matter what size speaker wire you use for your subs?... i was wondering because... on my old speakers i had thicker wires... but now on my new box i have thinner wires... i was wondering does it matter?... does thinner mean its not going to give the subs enought juice?... vice versa...

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 450
For wiring your subs, it is best to use 12-16 gauge wiring. Me personally, I wouldn't use anything less than 12 gauge on my subs, simply becuase it doesn't cost that much more and I wouldn't want my speaker wire to be the weak link in my system.

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 198
What would happen if you used 10 or 8 guage wire?

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 57
isaac w. so your saying if your speaker wires are too small its not going to perform well because its not getting enough flow because its small? o.O

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 200
Your speaker wires would have to be very small to not perform well.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8042
16ga is plenty.

I've seen speaker wire up to 10ga, but larger than 12ga is hard to fit into terminals unless you're using banana plugs or binding posts.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 454
Yeah, they would have to be very small, like 18 guage or smaller to not perform well. I just like to be more safe than sorry, considering wiring is pretty cheap so you might as well go bigger. Juelz, yes you can use 8 or 10 gauge, the bigger the better basically, you pretty much can never have to big of power cable or speaker wires, it will never hurt.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3556
Unlike power wires that carry high current, speaker wires don't. This is why 18 gauge will sound as good as 14/12 gauge.
Take a look at your home power wires. They are 14-16 gauges.
Unless your amp is 2000w rms or higher, 16-18 gauge will be fine. Don't get fooled into getting 8gauge or lower by wire manufacturers. They swear you can tell the difference. Tests will prove otherwise.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3557
The crooks here, CrappyShop and CrappyBuy, sells 8gauge monster cable for speakers claiming you will see and hear the difference. They have a ghetto setup in the store with a button. One will produce weak audio sound with static, the other louder sound with no static.
It is a scam. They charge $199 for the cable.
Just how much differece do you think an 8 gauge wire will produce carrying under 1A of current vs 18 gauge wire? None what so ever. I'm sure they're making at least 80% in profit selilng those cables to suckers.

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 170
"The crooks here, CrappyShop and CrappyBuy, sells 8gauge monster cable for speakers claiming you will see and hear the difference."

I CAN see and hear a difference. I can see the hole in my bank balance and hear my wife saying "you spent how much on a little bit of what!"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us