Circular vs. Rectangular vs. Slot type ports !

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Post Number: 24
I seen not seen a similiar topic like this being addressed specifically - so here goes .

Question 1)
Any audible different if 2 exact boxes/subs are tuned properly to the exact freq. but 1 box uses circular (like pvc pipe) ports & the other's port is made from MDF but square shaped ?

Question 2)
Do using different pipe diamenters (ex. 2,3 or 4 inch) calculated to the same freq. make a difference . I very well know lenghts of the ports for different sized pipes will have to vary accordingly BUT keeping the same constant freq. range - will there be a major difference it the way it'll sound ?

Question 3)
Slotted ports : any advantages over pipe or square ports ??? . 1 disanvantage is that the box will definately have to be longer on 1 side for it to fit plus internally it'll be more work to build .

Last question)
Why do people tune their boxes to such a low freq. as 28/30/35 HZ ?

To each his own , BUT personally I find bass around 60 to 80 Hz is very tight & pleasent on the ear like clean music ought to , lower than that sounds too 'bangy' & near distortion to me .

I do notice however that with some box volumes if you are to tune your ports to a higher freq. like what i like , the ports become VERY short & sometime pipe is not even needed just the hole itself is called for .

I would like alot of varied opinions from you all ...

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 166
1.no
2.To small a port results in port noise.
3.no
4.Because a speaker acts as if it's not in a box below the tuning frequency, resulting in over excursion and no power handling.

"To each his own , BUT personally I find bass around 60 to 80 Hz is very tight & pleasent on the ear like clean music ought to , lower than that sounds too 'bangy' & near distortion to me"

hmmmmm.....so you don't like the bottom octave of bass guitars or piano's or any other musical instrument that goes down low? in fact anything below the thud of a bass drum? To each his own then. Prehaps you need to do a bit more research on loudspeakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Post Number: 25
Maybe my Hz suggestions were listed a bit too high maybe should have typed 50/60 but i what meant is it really necessary to go 28hz low as some people say they tune their boxes/system ?

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 194
Its not necessary, but it depends on the sub. Most subs do good around 30-35.

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 167
"Maybe my Hz suggestions were listed a bit too high maybe should have typed 50/60 but i what meant is it really necessary to go 28hz low as some people say they tune their boxes/system ?"

Maybe you should do more research on loudspeakers and sound reproduction.

"Because a speaker acts as if it's not in a box below the tuning frequency, resulting in over excursion and no power handling"

Doesn't this explain why you need to tune low. Of course if you want a totally un-musical sub with massive peaks in its response tune it to 50hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us