Hifonics Amps : why don't people like them ???

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Post Number: 11
Am considering getting a new TX8805($200) & BX2005D($340) . But Y do some people just say they don't like them & NOT give some specific detailed reasons or say what bad experiences they encountered .

We all know higher priced/better brands exists - I'm sure others on this forum like myself find they look good (specs) on paper & low budget price vs. power is a major factor & we'd all like some feedback from experienced users .

Do these amps overheat, distort or clarity issues , i heard they may b a 'little' less power than what they r rated at .....

Let da comments flow !!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2502
Good for the price, the only thing I don't really like about them, is like you said... over rated.
The BX1500D for example, it is 1500 watts rms, but actually it only puts out 900/1000 watts.

Bronze Member
Username: Point78

El cajon, Ca

Post Number: 40
i dont know why people have a prob with them i have a zues 1000 watt powering my two kicker L5 10's and that thing is a champ but there are better amps out there that are way more expensive i like them for the performance and the affordibility

Bronze Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 100
if you do a search on this someone said long back that its output wasnt steady on a meter or something.. bad for subs i guess
i have been using it but no 'audible' problem (mite be clippin on a meter)
value for money - 5star

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 264
actually ive heard that alot of people have bench tested the amp and that it does put out what it advertises at 1ohm...at 2 and 4 ohms its highly overrated

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3514
I was the one that gave thumbs down to Hifonics. I do recall giving reasons why. It's probably still on this thread.
Anyways, if you're looking for CHEAP amp with high numbers, then Hifonics is your choice. If you want an amp that performs at a low to mid priced range, then try MTX.
Like I said before, Hifonics are slightly better than Sony/Boss/Lanzar/Pyle/Pyraimd.
In a quick summary, the main difference between Hifonics and Pyramid is, Pyramid flat out lies about their power number. Hifonics, lies about their numbers and ratings BUT does put out some power. Mind you, it's not the kind of power you would want for your JL or RE subs. More like powering the $hitty $square subs from Kicker.

D Block
Unregistered guest
Issac...Man what da f*ck you talking bout!!??? Kickers are not $hitty subs! Maybe them old school $hits u use to have like some 8"! I JUST listened to some L7's ran at 1 ohms to a TREO 1500watt Class D mono Amp and da $hitssss was FU*king BANGING!! Them fools rattled the dam window! So i don't know what u heard im telling u what i know!

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 140
word cuz
lmfao

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3524
D Block, I'm talking about Kicker's $shitty $quare subs. Bad design to start with. Anyone that spends money in R&D on a square sub, needs to see a shrink.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 31
The reason folk no longer care for them and some other old school
amps is this. A lot off these old school amp makers started out small with one or afew folks that loved Car Audio. As they got old
and the companys grew, so did the headpain! The founders get tired and what once was fun becomes a PIA! so they sell out to the
highest bidder(a bidder that has a plan to make money) and the love for the company dies out. Now all of us are left with mass product thats nothing special and the old name(with the old rep!)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7965
there are design issues with kicker's square subs (solobarics) and while they get very loud, their SQ is horrible, and they tend to fall apart very often, for no reason caused by the user. They have lead-slap and separation issues, shallow excursion, and surround separation problems.
If all you care about is "man it rattles my windows, it must be good!" then these are fine for you. If you want subs that actually sound good when they get loud, look elsewhere.

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Post Number: 12
Alot of guys here say da same about RF,Kicker & alot of 2days popular brand names - like we gotta get a time machine 2 get good stuff !

Da H amps - nothing comes close (maybe power acoustik - but i heard Hifonics r considerably higher ranked) 2 d power/price & SIZE , yes size cause other companies amps r longer some almost double lenght & 2/3 times d $ . So i'm gonna buy these 2 models & try em out

TX8805 & BX2005D

What would u guys guestimate actual rms outputs r ?????

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7983
yes hifonics would be better than power craptastic I agree, and a lot of people do seem to be happy with hifonics. If you want to have a beat off fest about hifonics, go to CAF. They love that crap over there like it's fillet mignon.
In my personal experience, I've seen a fair number of those brutus amps fail though and that makes me leery of using them.
As for size, I'd rather have a larger amplifier if it means more cooling surface to keep the amplifiers cooler and thereby give them a lower THD, and better SNR. If all you're worried about is size though, on a "per amp" basis to fit into a smaller car, there are some good class-T full range amps on the market now that are very small and put out plenty of power. Matched with individual smaller amps of the class D variety for subs, using one amp per sub, you'd keep several small amplifiers, and by using efficient subs and a good enclosure with plenty of gain, you can get a loud system with low power and without taking a lot of space.

there are always trade-offs with anything. It's a matter of deciding what you want to give up, be it size, money, SQ, SPL, etc and waht you really desire.

please please please, stop with the ghetto speak though.
you're giving me a headache trying to decypher what you really are trying to say.
thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 33
I did leave one thing out, In the old days there were really good amps and really bad amps! Today there are more (just ok) amps
than ever, in part because there made in the same place and come with a different face. and it cost the same to make an ok amp or a bad amp. The outcome is a hole lot of ok amps but only a few good & bad amps and very few Great amps. Class D amps have
set SQ back a decade or two but are cheap to make, givin this,
they make good cheap bass amps if sound quality is not so important.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7993
DEI has lots of "good" amplifiers. not the greatest, but solid, and affordable, and they do what they say at least.
Directed, Viper, PPI, Orion, a/d/s, etc.. all of their companies. Not a bad choice if ya want something easy to find wihtout spending the bank.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2525
Lol

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 172
I have two Hifonics amps, a Brutus 1500 D and also a Nemisis 800 or 880 4 channel. (too lazy to to check for the exact model number in the garage right now) but as said before, decent amps for the price. In my case both perform well and don't get too hot but you always get what you pay for, well most of the time anyway. Overall I am happy with them but will probably upgrade in the future. I am no expert and this is my first experience with seperate amps for both a sub and all of my speakers. They do sound good but if one or both if the Hifonics peter out I will try something else, but I must say they do sound good and I don't have a problem with feedback from the alternator, or popping noises when they turn on or any of that stuff I read about with REALLY cheap amps. I have been using the Hifonics for about a year now and am happy so I can give the brand a thumbs up in my case.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us