Volume up = Subs down? Just highs skipping? Sound dB OUTSIDE the vehicle? & More! Help!

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 27
I'm currently running four 12" subwoofers (two audiobahn in a bandpass, and two dual in a bandpass), being powered by an audiobahn A8000T 800 RMS, and a kenwood 460 RMS amp.

I'm using a JVC SHX-900 deck, and four KS60 kickers.

=============================================
1. my bass seems MUCH louder at around 20-25 volume, (at least for rap/long-loud bass. For metal/rock drum beats that HIT, but dont boooom, it's not so much an issue)than it does at 35ish, and 35ish is where my kickers sound decent. (they're just being powered by the deck, though about to install a 85RMS x 4 amp for them).

Why would my bass seem so much louder at a lower volume? Is it just because my highs are louder that my bass dosnt *seem* as loud, but really is? Or do the highs actually cancel out some of the low notes?
===========================================

2. When I turn my volume up very high, my subs do fine, but it sounds like my high notes are skipping? Again, is this caused by using the outs on my deck? The sound isnt distorted, but actually skips. I cant figure out WHY it would sound like the CD was skipping on the high notes, while the bass played on just fine.)
=======================================

3. Using edead, or dynamat, etc, everyone says you gain volume. Question - since it insulates, etc, does this make the sound OUTSIDE of your vehicle quieter? Or is it also louder outside of the vehicle, too?

==================================

4. Is using a small amount of high-strength epoxy a solution at all for a very small rip around the rubber of a woofer? One of my kickers has a small tear, (not on the woofer itself, but on the rubber that connects it to the speaker mount).

Thanks.. :-)

Seth

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 107
4. That rubber is called the surround, and using exoxy isn't going to help. Epoxy is rock hard, the surround has to be able to flex to allow the cone to move. If part of the cone cannot move, but other parts can, what you'll get is distortion.

3. The car will be quieter on the outside. The reason you can hear loud cars from the outside is because the sound waves travel through the sheet metal, causing vibrations, and then out into open air. The less the sheet metal vibrates, less sound is escaping through the car, and the quieter your car will sound from the outside.

2,1. I have no idea whats wrong with your stuff. I'd start by replacing the deck. Your mids most likely aren't canceling out your subs. I'm guessing you don't have your mids crossed over though. You should put a high pass filter on them. Also, are your subwoofer amps overpowering your subs now or underpowering them. If you're underpowering the significantly, it may be possible that they can't get any louder when you turn up the volume and your mids are drowning them out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I'm giving the subs pretty much all the power they're asking for... The dual's over-rate themselves, and in reality are 200 RMS each, and I'm giving them 230 each..(they claim 600total on the box, but the actual speaker says 200 RMS). The audiobahns are 800RMS total, and i'm using the 800RMS audiobahn amp to power them.

BTW, I already had done the epoxy thing, and it's made for rubber etc, and the tear was paper thin, and an extremely light layer of the stuff seems to have helped with no "noticeable" distortion, to me, anyhow.. (there might be a small amount that I just cant hear, who knows?)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3474
If you're powering the kickers with HU, then it'll sound terrible at high volume. You will get very little bass too. It's due to a cheap amp in the HU.
As for your highs shaking, that again is due to HU. Put in a 100w rms x 4 or higher, and it'll get rid of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
It seems to be a power related issue...the highs only cut out when my volts are very low. I got an optima yellow top, and now it wont even charge passed 10 volts.. even with the stereo off...ugh. (Updated my system..now using 4 pioneer REV series 6.5", same HU, and six Dual's in 3 bandpass boxes, powered by a 1,600 watt RMS amp).

Thank god my alternator from excessiveampreage should be here tomorrow...(I hope!) lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us