4 Channel Amp question....

Username: Markstanco

Texas

Post Number: 1
Hello all... 1st post here.

I am looking at buying the Precision Power DCX 1000.4 4 channel amp ( http://www.precisionpower.com/amps/dcx1000-4.asp ).

Anyhow heres my question... I am connecting this to my boat and I have 4 speakers for the mids/highs (4 ohm each) and also a am considering the JL Audio 12W6V2 for the lows.

On a 4 channel amp like this one, can I take 2 of the channels, bridge them to a 2 ohm mono load for the woofer (I would like to run the woofer at 2 ohms in parallel), and wire the remaining 4 speakers to a 2 ohm load on the other 2 channels?

WILL this be stable for the Precision Power amp?

Texas

Post Number: 2
Anybody?

If this wont work, what are the options for 4 4 ohm speakers and a sub?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 108
You should consider the Marine version of the e6450

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e6450.html

It'll drive your speakers on independent channels and have plenty of power left over for your subs. I'd stay away from that new Precision power stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 109
oh, and welcome to the forum :-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3466
If you go strictly by spec, that PPI is not a bad amp. It's better than Hifonics/Lanzar/Pyle/Sony/Boss/Legacy amps for sure.
That amp is 2ohms stable in stereo mode. Meaning, if you bridge 2 of the channels, you'll need 4ohm load.
To use them with a sub/subs, make sure you they will add up to 4ohms total.
For example, if you're getting only 1 sub, the get 2ohms DVC. It'll total up to 4ohms. 4ohms DVC will only be 8ohms or 2ohms. It will not work with your setup, unless you get 2 4ohms DVC subs.
For your 4 speakers, it'll work fine cause most are 4ohms SVC. So if you wire them in parallel, you'll get 2ohms. The amp can handle 2ohms in stereo.

Texas

Post Number: 3
Thanks Isaac and Steve....
The marine version isnt necessary, it is in a place where it WILL NOT get wet so that isnt a concern. (nor will it be in a salt water enviroment).

Isaac... thanks for the heads up on the ohm ratings on the DVC. I dont think the 12W6v2 is available in a 2 or 8 ohm configuration though.

There isnt an amplifier made to be able to run at 2 ohms mono on 1 side, and 2 ohms stereo on the other??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3470
Mark, what I meant by 2ohms or 8ohms is, 4ohms DVC can be wired to either 2ohms or 8ohms by itself. If you had 2, then you drop each sub to become 2ohms then wire them in parallel for 4ohms.
From the looks of it, it is a 4ohms DVC sub. What you can do is take channels 3 and 4 and hook it up to each VC on the sub (make sure you are feeding mono signal to both 3 and 4 using a splitter).
You can also wire the VCs in parallel for a 2ohms load and then use either channel 3 OR 4 on the amp. Either way, you'll get same amount of power.

Texas

Post Number: 4
Really? Wired in parallel down to 2 ohms, then ONLY use one of the channels? I have never heard of that, it seems like it would be half the power or be tough on the power supply on the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3471
Nope. It is a 4 channel amp. Doesn't mean you have to use all of them.
Or like I mentioned above, you can use all the channels by hooking up 3 and 4 to VC 1 and 2. Get a RCA splitter to mono out the signal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us