Some People's Kids

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 215
My best friend, he's like a brother to me, but he doesn't understand the whole car audio thing. He thinks an amp is an amp. He thinks Legacy/Pyramid is just as good as any other amp. No matter how hard I try to explain it to him, he doesn't get it. He says it's a waste of money... ARG!!!!! He thinks his Pyramid subs are as loud as my two Eclipse Ti's!!!! ARG! I have a DA7232, and he thinks his two Legacy 2,000 watts generate the same amount of power. HELP ME!!! Lol...

Silver Member
Username: Perrydog

Flint, Michigan USA

Post Number: 105
what u need help with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
LOL. I'm jk about the help. Just some people drive me nuts. He says it doesn't cost that much to make, so why does it have that big of a price tag? We'll SOMEONE has to design it! I've built amps before, but they're nothing compared to Zapco, Xtant, etc. Dirty sound, and don't last very long. I've pulled amps apart and looked into them, and the good amps have more components and bigger components then the crap ones, I wonder why?!

Bronze Member
Username: Maxil223

Post Number: 13
I completely understand where your coming from. My friend has 3 Kicker 15L7's so he went and bought 2 Cyclone 1600 watt amps and figured he would be overpowering them. Althought this sounds wierd, I get slightly mad when someone tells me I have the best bass they've felt. It just makes me mad knowing they havent even felt bass having not been to a termlab event in my area. And im running 1 MTX Thunder6000 on a Profile 400watt amp lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
Yea. I live in a VERY rural area and I have, by far, the loudest system around. The closest thing to mine is a kid with two 12" Alpine Type-R's, and he sold them because they cost him too much $. There's a crap loud of Audioburn and whatnot floating around. Drives me insane.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3444
Tell your friend about cars. Ask him why Ferrari costs more than Russian Yogo (they used to sell them in North America).
If he still says car is a car, then sell him VW Bug for $100,000.

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
ROFL!!! Tried that, he still didn't get it. He thinks electronics are created equal. Heck no! I'm looking at a Zapco amp instead of my Eclipse, and he about sh!t himself when I paid $850 for my amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3457
If he still doesn't get it and is old enough to know about the birds and the bees, then see if he thinks all girls are the same.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
LOL! I think I proved my point to him earlier today. He has two Pyramids, and they sounded like sh!t in his 2000 Mercury Cougar. I put my two 12" Eclipse Ti's in his trunk and hooked up my Eclipse DA7232 amp and blew his back window out! He's pretty pissed off about it, but I think I got the point accross to him. It's his fault, he wanted to do it, and he just kept turning it up... Thank god he has full coverage...

Bronze Member
Username: Karam

Post Number: 76
thats a first,
I can't beleive that much air movement can take place????

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
It did. The gap from the back seat up to the window is very small, it's a hatchback. And the subs were sitting in the trunk facing up, so all the pressure was on the window. He was playing some bass CD he has, closed the trunk, and the next note it hit the window just fell out onto the ground. I about sh!t myself. I guess the insurance company is going to pay for it and he's getting it fixed tommorrow. The agent still doesn't believe what happened...

Anonymous

Musta been a flaw in the glass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
I think it was more the seals. It popped out onto the ground, didn't shatter. But that's still d@mn impressive.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4224
I see that a lot, people that tend to think that a 12" sub is a 12" sub, and that electronics are all the same. It's just like anything, the difference you will see with electronics are the tolerances. It takes more cost and more care to produce a 1% tolerance resistor compared to your typical 5%, 10% or even 20% and above ones. Designing an amplifier is all about overkill, designing a power supply is capable of multiple times the required amount for rated power, the power supply is the most important part of an amplifier. Then you get to items such as transistors, where bipolars are the superior, but more costly since it takes more devices to produce the same power reliably. Transformers, capacitors, circuit boards, all add up to the end result. Even soldering takes experienced personnel, a solder joint isn't just a solder joint. It's just that a person has to be willing to educate himself before truly accepting the fact that you aren't going to get a quality amplifier for $100.

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Yes... HAHAH! I'm a Ham Radio operator and do a lot of small work on radios. You can tell the difference in the design of my $500 radio compared to a $15 POS CBs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3463
How much does it cost to get a ham license? I'm trying to get one. What's the farthest you've reached with your radio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
I'm currently a Technician. You have to study, but the test is only $12. Radio and antennae can be had for $150 or so. Of course I've spent a lot more than that! I can talk all over the world with a handheld.

www.echolink.org
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us