2 amps or just one?

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
im gonna be buying a new system.....dont know what is better or if it even makes a difference. im gonnna shoot for 2000 w rms, but would it be any different if i go for one amp that would produce that power, or 2 amps that produce 1000w each. any difference? i wouldnt think so since 2000w is 2000w....but u never know. also, what would be a good choice for amps? thanks

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
and i want to run 2 subs...with 1000rms to each....

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 102
an independent amplifier per driver is the best senario...but it'll most likely be more expensive. What kind of budget are you working with? This is going to be a big purchase so make sure you do your homework and actually listen to as many amps as possible. If you give us a budget, I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
well.....im hoping to spend no more than 2 grand for everything. prolly gonna need a better battery, new wiring kit (all i have is 8 gauge right now),capacitor (would i need 2??), 2 subs, and 2 amps. any recomendations for subs/amp combination??

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
hopefully i can get this all for about 1500.....dont knwo whats the best i can get tho.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 105
it all depends on what kind of setup you're looking for. Do you want SPL or better sq or a combination of the two? Also, with 2000W RMS, you'll want around 4 farads of capacitance. If that 2 grand is for everything, make sure you plan on setting some money aside to replace your alternator. You WILL need a high-output alternator. As for amps, the JL 1000/1 is a good place to start looking. US Amps, TRU, and Zapco amps are also great.

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
thanks man, theres this place here in san antonio i heard does a good job of REBUILDING alternators for car audio use.....dont know if thats a good idea or just buy a H.O. one. and id rather have a good combination of the 2, but SPL is my top priority. i wanna have my chest banging. :-)and i have found 2 kicker sx1200.1 for like 375 each...and i think its pretty damm cheap.....but are kicker amps any good? i always thought they were...but i have heard alot of love stories about zapco and US amps also. not to mention...i was pretty happy with my old orion amp...and i WAS thinking about a better one from them...but i dont really know too much about other brands. Also, i have found a bunch of amps that put out like 2000W plus. would it be smarter that way or just get 2 smaller amps????

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 106
If you get a good rebuild on your alternator, you should be in good shape. As for good quality SPL subwoofers, the first names that come to mind happen to be JL W7, Resonant engineering XXX, Adire Brahma, and IDMAX for a little bit more sq. You'll be happy with the performance from any of those subs, but if you head over to the subwoofer forum, I'm sure you can get some more suggestions. I don't have a whole lot of experience with kicker amps, but I generally try to stay away from the brand in general. Orion makes great amps, you'd be safe going with them. If money is an issue, it may make more sense to go with a single bigger amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 92
Kicker makes good amps, though if your looking for an upgrade from your old orion, you'll have to look towards the brands scuba laid out and others. Though be prepared to shell out alot of cash for them.

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
ha yea...well damm i might be lookin into just one sub/amp for now see how that goes.....and if i shall need more power...then ill go from there....wehre can i go to buy a brahma or xxx besides ebay? also....is it worth the investment to get a custom box from these stores i see around the internet that say they specialize in boxes for these subs??....gonna post this in woofers section of the forum also :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 93
you gotta order direct from re or adire for those subs. Yes it's def. worth it to have a custom box built specifically for your driver. The enclosure will make or break your setup.

raybsatx
Unregistered guest
alrite...well lets see what i come up with here......... im gettin excited already lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us