Remote Lead from Head Unit PROBLEM.

Unregistered guest
Hi,

Have a Pioneer head unit DEH-1100. Checked its remote lead and am getting to 12v to it. I have this connected to the remote lead on a Sony XE-90MKII graphic EQ.

When the 2 remote leads are hooked together and I turn on the head unit the EQ does NOT turn on. If I turn off the head unit the EQ turns on.

Finally, If I move the remote leads from both the head unit and EQ to the 12v battery leads, everything works fine but I think that would mean my EQ and amps would stay on the entire time the car is running and I don't want that.

Any ideas are appreciated. My first guess is the wiring harness from the EQ or the EQ itself.

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 747
So what you're basically saying is that each units function correctly when hooked up independently, but not together when using the pre-existing wiring? Yes, that's definitely a wiring problem...did you use an aftermarket harness, or did you clip the factory harness?

hey_paisan
Unregistered guest
I guess you could say I think it is the wiring. I am just not sure it it is the external wiring (the harness from the Sony or the harness from the Pioneer. I checked all my wires out today for kinks shorts opens and found them to be fine. I used an aftermarket harness adapter to connect to the original adapter in the car. I did not cut the original adapter.

Today I was able to get things partially working by attaching the remote lead from the Sony EQ to the other 12v (battery) leads. Then connecting only the remote wire from one of the amps (Alpine) to the remote from the radio. Once I did this, the radio turned on the Alpine amp and of course the Sony EQ was live since it was directly connected to the live 12v connection.

Unfortunately, the other remote wires for the other 2 amps (RF, Coustic) would not turn on no matter what hookup I used.

At this point I have no idea what component may be the cause.
I really don't want to drop $50-$60 an hour to have someone troubleshoot and tell me its the EQ or head unit and have to spend just as much for a new piece of equipment on top of three hours of troubleshooting costs. I really think one of the components has flaked and my bet is the Sony EQ. I would like to replace with another but it is an old unit and I cannot find one like it anywhere. I have some other models like the Kicker, Kenwood, and Pioneer half dins that are out or discontinued recently. Also suspect the Sony EQ as I had a different unit (same model) die on me a few years back.

Thanks for the help and if any ideas come to mind as to how to test the EQ and head unit to see what is up, I would appreciate it.

Take care.

Tony

hey_paisan
Unregistered guest
Well finally found out that the remote lead on the Pioneer HU was dead. Put a 20A switch between the fuse box and the remote leads for all amps and the EQ and now just have to switch on HU first then switch on everything else with new rocker switch mounted in dash and the 12 inch is booming again.

Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 4
These remote leads are rated for a certain maximum amount of current. I wonder if you had too many components hooked up to it, or perhaps it was being used as a 12V power source for something.

I don't recall the maximum spec as most manufacturer's don't list it, but I image a few hundred mA at most.

What I'd do if I had a bunch of components to turn on is either use a relay, or get a buffer .

http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/5279.pdf are great.. 500 mA per output The 2004 is what I used in past projects.

hey_paisan
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. All I can tell you is it worked fine for at least 2 years before this happened. Then on another board I read to never hook up all your remotes to older Pioneer HU's as it fries the connection. Not sure how true that is even though I read it on the internet ;)

I had a Bosch relay but could not find it at the time of install back then so I just used the HU's remote turn on. Should have just gone out and bought a new relay.
Live and learn. I learn something new everyday.

Take it easy.

hey_paisan
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. All I can tell you is it worked fine for at least 2 years before this happened. Then on another board I read to never hook up all your remotes to older Pioneer HU's as it fries the connection. Not sure how true that is even though I read it on the internet ;)

I had a Bosch relay but could not find it at the time of install back then so I just used the HU's remote turn on. Should have just gone out and bought a new relay.
Live and learn. I learn something new everyday.

Take it easy.

Bronze Member
Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 29
Dont forget to build in a diode to prevent power peaks of the relays coil when switching off.

Unregistered guest
I have a pioneer deh p725r I have hooked up an amp and a sub in my car as far as I know all the wires are hooked up correctly but I cannot find the remote output wire. I can find two blue wires 1.- anntena 2.- . both dont do anything
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us