Scuba steve help me

Bronze Member
Username: Earl

Lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 15
-my amp is a 980 watt power acoustik 2 channel. I have two p2's they are 4 ohm i have them bridged down to two ohms. I was curious if i had two more p2's (all would be 4 ohms) and they were bridged in series parralel9 a 4 ohm load for my amp) would my amp handle it,and would my subsget the power they need. My amp really pushes the p2's now also it is only half way turned up. The subs are rated a 200 watts rms. At 2 ohms each channel puts out 280 watts 4 ohms 260 watts. Please help.

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 68
ahhh, you're the one who sent me that email. I couldn't respond to it because you weren't a registered user and ecoustics didn't have your email. Anyway, what your saying is that you have 2 4 ohm subs wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, and you want to add 2, and wire it in a combination of series and parallel for a total load of 4 ohms. When you double the impedence, the power will drop, and on top of that, you now have to divide that power by 4 subs, rather than 2. But since the power only drops 20 watts per channel on your amp at 4 ohms versus 2, you'll have 130 watts per sub. If you feel confident that the amp's ratings are on target, i'd say go for it. You'll get a lot more volume out of your system by multiplying the surface area by 2.

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 80
4 subs at 130 watts per sub will increase your bass greatly over 2 subs getting 200 watts each. Especially since you have all that extra power in your amp, go for it. Underpowering subs doesn't decrease their output much. For example, if you had a sub that could handle 600 watts, but only had an amp that could produce 300 watts, if you upgraded to a 600 watt amp, 2 times that power, you would only expect to see a 3 dB increase in SPL.

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 100
"WHAT IS TRI MODE CAPABLE?"

I have no idea man...what is this in reference to exactly? Also if you had an email this would be a lot easier.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3453
Tri mode capable means the amp can be used to power 2 channels (left and right) plus a sub at the same time. Of course you will need a capacitor for the speakers and a coil for the sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us