Popping and horrific screeching from speakers

Unregistered guest
(4) 2-way Polk MOMO speakers
powered by JBL GTO 75.4 (75 watts RMS x4)

I also have a 15" audiobahn sub with another JBL amp powering it, but that is not where the problem is occuring. Heres the Problem:

With the volume turned up past a certain point (varies per CD), the speakers start popping and, if kept at that volume or higher, they stop popping and just start making a horrific noise that is like a "screeching." The subwoofer continues as normal, it is never affected. I had the system for 8 months before it started doing this, and is has very slowly (over the last 4 months) gotten worse. Not sure if this is related, but the front-left speaker makes a static noise with the highs occasionally. It doesnt do that on all CDs or all the time, seems random when the highs are demanding.

Literally no one has been able to help me at all for the past 4 months. The problem does NOT seem related to engine noise, and there is no constant noise in my system, only when it starts going berserk.

Any help AT ALL is appreciated. thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 52
wow, thats terrible man. If all your speakers connected to the 4 channel JBL are having this "screeching" it seems thats where you should start. Check the ground wire, power wire, battery connections, fuse connections...all the simple stuff first. If none of this helps, see if you can borrow and amp from someone you know and see if the problem continues. If the new amp doesn't help, just give up and acknowledge the fact that God hates you. :-)
Best of luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 81
this actually occurred to me as well, i dont know why it happened but it has something to due with some signal. anyways, i didnt know what to do at all, but eventually i just moved my amps away from each other and it fixed it. like i said, its some sort of interference signal. maybe if you amps are close together is the cause of it.

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 64
oh that reminds me, make sure you run your power wire as far away from the signal wires as possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 82
and i assure you, your power wire and signal wire close together will not cause your speakers to cry out like a banshee, they just catch alternator noise.

SpazzCat
Unregistered guest
i re-grounded it and turned the gain way down and it seems to have fixed it, but the gain wasn't that hihg in the first place. i'm still not sure exactly why it did that, but i hope it never comes back.

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 79
I hope you've seen the end of it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us