JL250/1 or Alpine MRVT230 for 2X8" subs

Username: Shunsmuse

Ca. Usa

Post Number: 7
I am installing 2x JL8wo8 subwoofers (rated 75 watts @ 8 ohms)in a shop built fiberglass enclosure to fit in a small compartment under the rear bench seat of my Toyota Tundra extended cab. I can get a great price ($89)on the Alpine MRTV250 which is 2 channel rated 400 watts. Another shop has suggested the JL250 /250 watt mono amp ($400). I am going for SQ and will not be up-sizing the subs. I have been unable to audition either the speakers or amps, particularly with this specific installation. So will be going on recommendations alone. I'd appreciate input.

My HU is Eclipse 8455, main amp JL300/4, front component speakers JL XR650csi, rear co-ax XR650cx

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 71
You could have put 2 8W3v2s with the 250/1 and that would BUMP in your Toyota. Why the W0s? Is there not enough room in your truck? Anyway, you shouldn't spend more than $250 on the 250/1. But also, you don't need the 250/1 for those speakers. Most likely your 8W0 subs will be wired to be 4 ohm so you are going to be looking for an amp that delivers 150 watts of power at a 4 ohm load. You can use a two channel amp but you want to wire the speakers into a 4 ohm load so the amp will put out the correct amount of power, not less. That means you should bridge the 2 channel amp. The more ohms you have the less power the amp will put out. But I digress, if you can get the 250/1 then use it, just turn the bass all the way down on the deck. You should have the gain pretty much all the way down anyway because your deck is the 8455 and you have 8 volts of signal output. Dang, you should try to get some W3s in your truck. Or like one 8W7 with the 250/1 would sound so tight. But like I said, make sure the subs are wired right and try to find a mono amp that is 150 watts at a 4 ohm load. Or a 2 channel amp that you can bridge into a 4 ohm load at 150 watts. It doesn't really matter if its class A or class D, or B or whatever in my opinion, for these subs. Oh, I can't find the Alpine MRTV250 (Mister Television 250?) Maybe try this one: MRP-M350 or this one: MRP-T220. Both are pretty close to 150 watts at 4 ohms. Anyway, good luck.

Username: Shunsmuse

Ca. Usa

Post Number: 8
Sorry about the 'Mister Television' typo. Read: Alpine MRVT250. I'd like some thoughts on that and if it is likely to be bridgable at 4 ohms. this is a close out amp, and the price is attractive. Re. the speakers, I'll look into the W3s. -it's just that there is such limited space. I can't give up any living room for this set-up. It has to be stealth.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us