JL XR 6.5's highs cutting out ?????

Username: Fybdanzig

Post Number: 1
When I turn up my system, my highs cut out on my component set. They are the JL XR 6.5's. Does anyone have a clue of what could cause this and a possible fix. They are ran through the XR crossovers as well.

Thank you for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Littleguy

Post Number: 46
I had mine do that, my line driver was set to high. Are you running an amp?

Post Number: 2
Yes, JL 300/4. What did you do to fix it? Thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Littleguy

Post Number: 52
Try turning the gains down a tab. Does it do it with the car running or with it off?

Post Number: 3
Both, and gains do not affect it, if I turn it up to a good loud listening level, the highs just cut off, and if I turn it down, they pop right back on. Like I said, the truck running has no berance on them cutting out.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4187
It is due to clipping or too much power, or a little bit of both. The crossover has a tweeter protection circuit so that you don't damage the tweeter with DC voltage or excessive power.

Post Number: 4
Would hooking up another set of tweeters fix this? Is that amp (300/4 JL) too much power for the speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 17
that amp is perfect for that setup..i would turn your gains on the amp all the way down and have the head unit power about where you like to listen to it at it's loudest clear point.....and slowly turn the gain back up little by little till they shut off again then just back em down a little.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us