Alternator help

Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 7
Hope someone can help me....
I'm plan to add another Amp on my system. it's Xtant A6001 (mono). I'm currently using the Stock Alternator (Honda CRX 88). I really don't know how many Amp on this Alt. Do I need a bigger Alternator ?? If yes, do I also need a different Battery ?? Any input very appreciates. Below is my current electronic components in the car

Alpine CDA7949
Alpine Changer CHA634
2 Audio Control EQL
Audio Control 4XS
A/D/S PowerPlate 625
Precision Power PPI A600.2
1.2 Farad capacitor

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 73
most likely youll need a new alternator, call autozone and ask them to give you the output of your stock alternator. try to find out how many amps your amp will draw, youll need an alternator that can handle the draw plus the draw of you regular car equip. some one on here know the website, or formula to figure out amp draw... i dont think youll need a stronger battery unless your car needs more cranking amps to start, or you plan on running you car audio while your car is off. i hope that helps

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 8
Thanks stylnul. actually I don't run the system while my car is not start..

however anyone know a good HO alternator for Honda CRX 88 DX and how many amp I should get for the new HO Alt... thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 23
your output that you need will depend on the size of the amp's current draw...find out what amp you are going to use...take the RMS wattage total of the two amps...use the formula: amperage draw = Watts (not peak)/Volts (probably between 12.8 and 13.2 off a regular battery)...every cars alternator has enough amps to satisfy the car plus a little extra...assume 75% is used up by the car (ex: 100 amp stock alternator (75 amps used by car and 20, 25 or so for extras...get back to us with how much output your alternator will need

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 9
here it its.
my stock alternator is 60amp

I will need the power for all these follow components:
Alpine CDA7949
Alpine Changer CHA634
2 Audio Control EQL
Audio Control 4XS
A/D/S PowerPlate 625
Precision Power PPI A600.2
Xtant A6001 (mono)
1.2 Farad capacitor

I plans to change alternator to HO 180amp. Is this should be good ?? any advice ?? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3410
180A will be enough to power your amps.
If you can get 200A, then get it. Your alternator will only generate enough power needed by your system. So it will not overload your amps.

Bronze Member

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 11
Thanks Isaac, I already spoke to Nathan from excessiveamperage, he will send me a 180amp HO alternator. 180amp is max for my car. Honda CRX DX

Gold Member

Post Number: 3415
Don't forget to upgrade your alternator wire, battery to ground, and engine to ground.
If not, your lights will still dim.

Bronze Member

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 12
thanks isaac. Nathan also cut the new heavy gauge on alternator wire. I got new battery ground but

Where can I find the engine wire to ground ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3417
Take a look at your engine. You will find a wire going from the engine to car's chassis. You can't miss it.
If you visit any car audio shop, they should have a 4gauge ground wire for $5. Get it and run it on top of your existing wire.

Bronze Member

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 13
thanks isaac.. will do. now I cross my finger and wait for nathan...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us