James I wanted to make sure you saw this

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2951
concerning the 250 g4 orion amp

Wow James that comes out to about 86 percent efficiency very nice man. How did they do that with a class A/B amp?

at 14.4 volts times 80 amps=1152 watts minus 14 percent=990.72 watts.Which is what you measured your amp at with 3000 rmp

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3505
yeah that is kind of high but my ppi a600 tested at 698 watts at 4ohms so that is 81% effiient so thats rather on the high side also. now you got me thinking man lol! I hate thinking lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2953
i doubt this is the case but if the voltage rises at the amp above 14.4 volts at the rpm measured it might expalin the high efficiency but i dont think that happens

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3507
well I have upgraded my electrical system with a high end off road alt that is capable of 16 amp charging but the funny thing is it never goes over 14.4 or 14.5 on my voltage guage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2954
Get isaac involved in this question he seems to understand elctrical concepts. Im intrested to find out why its so efficient.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2955
that efficiency is better tan most class d amps i think

Gold Member

Post Number: 2956
im thinking its the quality of the internal components. like the power supply and capacitors residing inside> Im pretty sure they use them to make amps (lol).

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3508
yup capacitors,resistors,transistors, I am sure they all playa major role along with the power supply as well. I am gonna go to the amp section and see if Isaac is over there and see what he has to say about this because I am very interested as well.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 751
Dont forget SCR's, diodes, and coils But as far as build quality I'm pretty sure all components are of the same caliber.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2911
"at 14.4 volts times 80 amps=1152 watts minus 14 percent=990.72 watts.Which is what you measured your amp at with 3000 rmp"

My hcca 250 has a total of 60 amps for fuses, I thought yours did too James?

Almost all the 250 G4's and G5's I've seen have 2 30 amp fuses, and even in the G4 manual I have they show 2 30 amp fuses for the 250.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2960
joe as i thought i saw you guys talking it depends how you hook it up wether it needs two 30 amp fuses or two 40 amp fuses and james said i was correct in another post

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2914
Ok. Maybe he does have two 40 amp fuses. Actuall, the HCCA 250's can come with either 8 or 4 gauge plugs, and take 2 30 and 2 40 amp fuses. I think my Orion 250 has 8 gauge plugs, since it is almost impossible to fit 4 gauge in my amp right now, and I have 2 30 amp fuses. I'm sure James does have the 4 gauge plugs though.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3513
yup when running the 4guage plugs at low impedence's they recomend 2-40amp fuses.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3373
Hey guys, depending on the manufacturer, an amp may have different efficiency for the same class.
To picture it better, draw an arc starting from lower left to upper right. Some class AB will have a curve that look like 1/4 of a circle, while others may have a longer, stretched arc. Class D will have a shorter curve and may rise slowly as it gets closer to the right.
The G4 is not as efficient as class D at low volume, but it gets better at higher level.
So depending on your desired listening volume level, you could get pretty good efficiency.
Joe, the 8 gauge plugs are round inside, and the 4 gauge are square. One would think it should be the other way around. Maybe it was the same genius that designed Kicker's square speaker?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2962
thanks isaac that explains alot more and simply too thanks man

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2916
Crap. The 4 gauge are square? Mine are square, but there still is no way you can fit 4 gauge in it. I would have to remove like a quarter or a 3rd of the strands on my power and ground just to cram them in... Are you sure it's the same on the G5's? I hope I didn't just order something I already have...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2963
you could always send it back if its the wrong one

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3374
I ordered 4 gauge power plugs and they were square. No way it would fit without trimming.
I think the guys that designed them failed either failed the mental test or they're trying to make everyone else suffer for passing. Any kid in grade 1 will tell you, you can't fit a round object in a smaller square hole.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 490
ok i have a couple questions....
1)whats this thread about?
2)how do u figure out amp efficiney
3)whats the usual efficeincys for each amp class

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2917
Isaac, you were right man. I had the 4 gauge all along, adn the 8 gauge plugs are circle. Dammit. Oh well, I went out and trimmed the wires and everything's all good now. Thanks guys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2965
heres the thread that started this one

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/143577.html

answered question 1

I used the amps times volts to get 100 percent efficiency and subtracted James's tested amount produced at 3000 rmp and came out with 14 percent efficiency loss

answered question 2

im foggy on the efficiency of amp classes but i think it goes as follows

class d 80 perecent
class a/b 50 / 60 percent. Someone is welcome to double check me but I believe that is close

answered question 3

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
lol what

Gold Member

Post Number: 2967
what dont you get?

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
the way u figure out trhe efficeincy lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3012
the fuse rating is a total of 80 amps so you go 80 times 14.4 volts = 1152 watts at 100 percent efficiency so subtract the loss in this case we knew the rated power he was actually getting which was 990 rms at 3000 rpm so i multiplied by 86 percent and got 990.72 rms and there you go you got the efficiency

Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
hi could i ask a question

Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
how do you hook up 4 cvr12" kicker dual voice coil sub to one 2 channel amp 850.2 kicker keeping it at 2ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us