I've Got two L7 12s help with box please

Unregistered guest
Aight i've got two solo baric l7 12s in a sealed box. The box is one cubic foot per sub. i have a mountaineer. amp = kenwood kac9152d. the amp is turned up almost all the way. it only has a sensitivity and frequency knobs to change. the sensitivity is the gain. and its up almost all the way. anyway i am trying to make it loud. but i've got a problem, when i turn it up real loud for a couple minutes the amp shuts off and then turns back on then repeats this until i turn it down. someone told me that i need a bigger amp but i want to make sure. the amp that i am thinking of upgrading to is the mtx 1501d. but is that the problem. should i go ported or sealed for my car. my friend told me that they could do soooo much more than they are. thanks

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
is my amp even any good. oh yeah, the solos are dual 4 ohm. got it running positive to positive and negative to negative in the box. i think thats parallel. and both speakers coming off the left channel on the amp. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 744
well 2 problems, The impendance may be to low for the amp, and the gain shouldnt be set that high it should be set to the voltage your preouts are.

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
Dude i had to turn it up b/c it wasn't very loud without doing it

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
what the heck there are already like 7 posts on the guys that was after me someone help me please.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 745
well give me a sec im trying to find a spec sheet on the amp so i have an idea of what you can do.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 746
Yeah If you hooked it up like you said in parallel then its a 1 ohm load and im pretty sure that amp isnt one ohm stable but im not sure because i cant find a spec sheet with enough information on it but i found out its 500 watts RMS at 4ohms and with your subs you can get a 4 ohm load like this. http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcsp

There might be a better way but I just cant find any info on the amp especially what its stable to
but try that for now. Adjust your gain correctly,
and play with the settings on the HU to see if you can shape it up alittle. Does the amp have bass boost?

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
the amp has a bass boost remote knob yes and the manual says it is one ohms stable. it says that it is 900 rms at two ohm and max 1800. it says that it is the same in the manual for one ohm. should i just change it to two ohm so that the amp wont shut off on my cuz thats really annoying.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 748
Sorry bro theres no way to get a 2 ohm load with 2 DVC 4 ohm subs, But if it says its 1 ohm stable i dont see why it would have problems other then the fact that the gain is to high or its not wired correctly. I say set the gain correctly, make sure its wired right, adjust the bass boost higher so that it makes up for the lower gain.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcpp
There wired like this right?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 749
hmmm you say your only using the left channel why is that?

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
well, i dont know it has two and i think its bridging when you do the one positive and one negative from the amp i just didn't think to do it at the time. i figured that it would do the same. so should i put the negative on the other side. and yes it is wired like you asked.

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
i gotta go to bed its 5 in the morning. your in florida too sweet. ne way i'll check back on this later thanks a lot Bass Man. do you know how to build ported boxes?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 750
when you take one positve from one channel and one negative from the other channel its called a bridge
and the power is combined but i found something on your amp that said its not bridgeable so im not sure if its a good idea. You could get a 2 ohm load by putting one sub on there own channel and wiring each subs voice coils in parallel. Does the amp have a mono/stereo switch?

Yeah i live in florida, where in florida you live? No im not to good at calculating the port tune and all that but this guy sean on here is good with that stuff, one day ill learn.

FeLipE
Unregistered guest
polk county you? no the amp does not have a stereo switch. alright i might try switching the speaker wires. thats what i meant earlier when i asked if i should move it to 2 ohm instead of one earlier in our discussion.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 752
yeah if you looking for a higher ohm you can put each sub on there own channel and have there voice coils wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#1dvcp
like that for each sub then on seperate channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us