Run system off of battery?????

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 384
I was wondering if it was possible to run a 1500-2000 watt system just off of batteries so that my alt would not need to be replaced for destroyed. Is it possible???

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 273
no. your system depends on the alternator while running. power goes from the alt to battery to amps. if the batteries don't get the power, how are the amps going to get the power.
you will be skipping the batteries and running your amps off of your alternator, which will eventually fail because of it.
while, the car is off, your system runs off of the battery, but the battery is running off of the energy it has already been supplied.
upgrading our big 3 might help
http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801

Bronze Member
Username: Kaos15th

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 48
yeah i wanted to know that too but i wanna run a 300, 400 watt amp on a go kart off a battery i was gonna put in it. could i do this.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 274
you don't really need an upgrade for just 400watts. and really its just the sub amp that you need to consider. if anything, just do the big 3.

you dont know me
Unregistered guest
you could just run your batteries in a series. meaning run the battery that is under the hood directly to the other and you should be fine unless you drive like a civic or something super small like that. anything like an suv should be fine esecially if you dont have more than like 1500 watts.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 275
IF you run two batteries, they would need to be isolated. otherwise they will compete with eachother and eventually fail. unless you have one alternator/battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
So, you think that all i would have to do is upgrade the big 3 and not have to get a new alt??

Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 5
Wouldn't just the battery he has be fine if he got a decent sized cap? I used to have 3000W in my Grand Prix and had no problem with just my single battery and a 2F cap. I never ran it for more than 10 minutes with the car off, but why would I.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 753
Im not sure if this is correct or not but arent you suppose to wire batteries in parallel not series................

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 126
You can have a 10,000 watt system powered with 3 or 4 extra batteries with multiple caps and be fine with a stock alternator.
Heres the catch, when those batteries lose thier charge it will be the alternator's task in recharging those batteries (and caps).

If you were playing it at high volumes for no more than a minute or so and the majority of the time keeping the volume very low the stock alternator would work just fine. The key is charging takes time. Heck, a stock alternator could charge twenty batteries.

Lets do a test....
Imagine a battery charger that you might buy from autozone. It has three settings, 2.5 amp, 5 amp, and 10 amp.
With that charger lets pretend it will take 1 hour to charge 1 battery at the 5 amp setting. It will take only 30 minutes at the 10 amp setting.
Now, what if we connect 4 batteries to the charger, and set it to 10 amps. This would be the same as charging each battery on the 2.5 amp setting. So how long will it take?

With that in mind, make the analogy to your alternator. Lets say your alternator produces 130 amps. And your car's electrical system draws a constant 30 amps while running, you would have 100 amps left over to run your system.

Ok, now, if your system draws 80 amps at full volume your alternator would be able to keep the battery fully charged.
But, what if your system draws over the extra 100 amps your alternator produces?

Lets say you have a huge system that draws 300 amps. Well we know the alternator will only supply 100 of those amps, thee other 200 will have to come from the battery. This will drain your battery quite fast. Having mutliple batteries and caps will only work until they are discharged, then all those extra batteries will need to be recharged by the alternator, which in this case could never keep up.

BUT, if you were to turn down the volume to a low listening level the system will draw much less amperage. This will give the alternator a chance to charge up the battery for your next "crank it up show off your sytem while driving by" time.
So remember, playing your system at high levels draws more amperage thus producing the higher workload for the alternator, which can cause failure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
I currently have a 100 amp alternator in my 2003 Monte Carlo and have not upgraded any of the electrical system. I would like to properly power the 2 15" TDX's that i currently own. What would ou suggest i do, please give an in depth explanation.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 280
first, nice subs.
second, if you have a 10, 000watt system the last thing you are going to be doing is playing at low volume.
third, addressing your issue, it depends on your budget. but I would run a ED nine.1 on each sub at 1200-1400w/sub @1ohm. the amps are considerably efficient so i wouldn't jump to coppin a HO alt just yet. again, just upgrade your Big 3, and then determine if you need to upgrade your alternator.

like I said your amps are about 50% efficient, so your alt should only realize about a 1200 watt draw (class D amps). so 1200watts/12volts=100amps. you should be cool w/just your alternator and big3upgrade.
there are plenty of other options, as i'm sure others will atest, but this is just my take.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
Isnt it also true that my alt wont even see that much current unless i am playing it at maximum volume as well??? I listen to various types of music from country to rap, so i wouldnt be blasting it on everything. How long and how much money does it take to upgrade the Big 3???

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
I dont know, i just think that i would be looking for trouble if i did that. I also dont feel like changing anything on my car. If i cant get rid of these subs (I am trying to sell them really bad) i might do what you just said. If i can sell them i might just go with one DLS Iridium sub. I have the Iridium 6.1 component set and couldnt be happier. Plus my amp would power it perfectly. Is there any other amps that would be even more efficient that would not break my budget?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 284
man, chris you have a great setup man. those zapcos were my first choice (couldn't afford them). i love my iridiums (6.3) too.
in your case, if you don't mind mixing amps, i would just grab one nine.1. that way you can run 700 into each of your subs and then if you sell them, you'll still have enough power to feed your DLS if you get it.
i don't think your gonna find a quality amp for your subs any less than the $350 nine.1. don't think you will necessarily have to upgrade your wiring either.
(as a correction to my previous 2amp suggestion, it wouldn't have been 1200w/sub@1ohm, anyway. it would have just been 900/sub @2ohms.)
let me know what you go with. like i said, i really like your set up. if you don't mind my asking, what is it that you don't like about your subs? and what are you pushing them with now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
DO NOT LAUGH!!!!!!!!!

I am only using a Zapco Reference 500.1 to run both subs. I was going with IDQ 15" subs and they became on backorder and i had everythign else, then the guy i got all of my stuff REALLY CHEAP from told me he would give me a deal on them so i took them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
It is not that i dont like the subs, i just know that they could be WAY LOUDER and are performing nowhere near there potential.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us