Box Design good?

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 71
I was playing with winISD designing a sealed box for a 15" avalanche and wondered what you guys(and maybe some girls?) thought of it. I went with slanted because my trunk height is only 15". It is 2.5 ft^3 and here are the dimensions.

Height...20.00 in
Width....25.00 in
D2 (Bottom depth)...18.00 in
D1 (Top depth)......4.87 in

This is using 3/4 in wood...would be using mdf board. Please tell me what you think, this would be my first box. And if you have changes you think I should make here are the dimensions for my trunk...

Depth...34 (preferably less than 25)
Width...45 (preferably less than 38)
Height...15

Thanks for any input.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 385
u could go a lil bigger but that should work well... pretty powerful sub so id advise putting some bracing inside the box.. just remember to add onto the volume of the box whatever u put in if u want to keep it at 2.5 prolly wouldnt notice it with a sealed box unless u put a shitload of bracing in... just curious you going for sq or spl? or a mix of the 2

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 73
I was looking at it again and I think the height that shows on winISD is the height of the back so I think I need to change it to fit in my trunk...So it would be changed to

width=25.00 in
height=13.00 in
D1(Top height)=12.95 in
D2(bottom height)=23.00 in
which would in turn make the slant where the sub would mounted on about 17 inches, enough room for it and a little extra.

& to answer your question I am going for both, I would rather have it a little quieter and sound tighter than loudness and just burp. & one more question for you Mark...What should I use for bracing and are there any strategic points to use it on? Thanx alot man.

Bronze Member
Username: Aaronmiiller

Post Number: 28
Man i need specifications for a box for a ported 15" at 2.5 cubic foot can anyone help me?

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 76
First...start your own thread (not to be a dick just so you get more responses),
Second people will need the model and manufacturer of the sub, & if you're going for sound quality or spl (loudness). Lastly (I think) they'll need to know what amp you're using, and trunk dimensions or dimensions of back of suv or whatever you drive.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 401
the best way to brace is to have a cutout frame of mdf that fits inside of the box all the way around , if u dont want to do it that way u can just cut pieces that go from one side to the opp side.. obviously have to do this before u put all the sides on.. and for where to put it .. u will want to put it on any long stretches of wood over 1 ft as the wood will flex more easily.. since your going more towards sq the smaller box will work better

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 78
Thanks for all your help mark. I think I'm gonna go with my setup I have above (the second one)

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 402
sounds good make sure they are the right dimensions first before yah start buildin.. if those are internal add .75 right for 3/4 mdf, i know i did that once lol .. sucks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us