Polk Audio Subs

Username: Linker

Post Number: 2
What do you guys think about the Polk Audio Subs... are they better than MTX?

Is the Dx12-4 any good? can I use a Sherwood 2ch amp (250 watts) with this sub?

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2256
I don't think there better than MTX... I don't know which subs they were, but these Polks I heard didn't sound that bad... and as far as the amp, never heard of it.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 260
i had a pair of the dx12's waaaay back in the day. i loved'em. the security guard at my old job had his in a large box, and i had two in a small, sealed, crappy qlogic box i got w/them from crutchfield (i believe they are designed for one ft^3).
he had 400watts (the 12"rms) going to each and i had 200. his hit monstrously hard. mine sounded really good, but fell short compared to what he had (obviously). much better than my kickers, but short of my jl w3's.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 261
and sherwood? you're really taking me back, man. thanks. those were the good old days (highschool).

Post Number: 3
thanks for the input guys...

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2946
yeah that was back in the days for sure since they made those amps.....tell me its the black glossy coated ones

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 121
I remember the old sherwood 4 ch amp that was silver with the fan in the middle, they were supposed to be the stuff but sounded like azz lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2947
i was just gonna say zac you arent kidding

Gold Member

Post Number: 2948
of the amps i ran across back in the day those silver sherwoods were crap

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 268
i just recall the black gloss ones

Gold Member

Post Number: 2949
im a little older than you i think but ive been into this like 17 years im 33 now

Post Number: 5
yes, the amp is black with a glossy finish... the amp seems to work really well, very realiable... yet not very powerful!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2957
it was par for amps made in their class level back then crlinker. (reliable is a key i would praise on this amp (my brother owned one back in the day so i know what your saying.)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3510
I remember the sherwood amps lol they were a big company back in the day everyone used to run them to like 8 sets of 6x9's lolol! they were never relaible though. if you wanted reliable back then you went Alpine, or Rockford Power series(I love those amps) or the old punch series the punch 75 and punch 150 damn this is bringing me back to the good stuff. You guys remember that amp that Phoenix gold used to make that was 14K gold that retailed for $100,000?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2958
yeah alpine and rockford were much better back then than now....i dont know about that phoenix gold because i was just introbuced to them back when they made the m25 phoenix gold amp and learned a little over time about phoenix gold. By the way James you remember when phoeonix gold made the "Reactor" its like 1200 rms with extra dudads added into it..my buddy owns one still waiting to be hooked up they only made like 2000 of them and the price tag he paid was $2000 The went with the name bcause the amp has the nuclear reactor theme to it with interior lighting that glows out of it. I cant wait till he gets that installed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2959
they even came in a custome breif case going with the theme and a key lock built it I believe

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3511
yes I do remember that. Those were very hard to come by. Phoenix gold used to be the top top of the line about 13 years ago. My brother in-law id running a RF power 1000 and a RF power 650 to this day. Those amps were amazing with the built in fans. way underrated buy power HOGS.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 276
yeah. not that sherwood was ever good, but all the others, punch, ppi, pg, sound stream, they have taken short cuts b/c of the "physics" of capitalism. how to make the quickest/surest dollar w/as little effort. quality has suffered in liu of proffit. all the outsourcing and overseas buyouts have really shot a deadly blow at caraudio.
but those Were the days. i thought i was doing something with my pile drivers, and bostwick subs. when i got my first pair of kickers you couldn't tell me anything. man. i was sooo broke.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3514
I owned a pair of pyle drivers man I thought they were amazing. lol! then I went to soundstream and rockford and it ws all uphill from there. man I wish they still made amps like they used to:-(

Post Number: 6
I'm not saying that the sherwood is a killer amp, i'm just saying that is realiable, at least in my case...

Any other comments about the sub?

cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us