Power inverter, pro and con

codamagic
Unregistered guest
I would like to install a multimedia system(5.1)and a notebook computer in my 64 beetle(12volt system). I plan on using a power inverter to convert the 12volt battery to 110vt. What potential problems may arise? ie...noise interference or poor music quality?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 672
The wiring might get a bit of noise because it isn't insulated for the car environment. It really shouldn't have many other problems.

codamagic
Unregistered guest
Query for Jexxen Trivic.

Is the idea of using a power converter and computer stereo equiptment a good or sound idea in your opinion?
adittional note: I am not willing to damage the door or side panals to install speakers. That is the main motivation for using a multimedia system.

speedo
Unregistered guest
... you want to use a home theatre sound system, instead of 12 volt gear made for the car, am i understanding this correctly?

if so, that is not really a good way to do it, only because your not going to get the kind of sound you think your going to get from it.
you don't have to cut the door panels to install speakers in them. you can make, or have made some kick panels for your car.
using the computer equipment will work. excellent for MP3/WMA playback. but you can get so much better sound from car equipment in a car, than home equipment in a car.

codamagic
Unregistered guest
Fair Enough.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 677
speedo has a good point, however, it's up to you ultimately. I think the biggest problem would be where you would want to mount all of the equipment without it interfering with other functions of the vehicle or passenger space.

Unregistered guest
I've recently started a new job which requires me to work out of my car. I have my laptop and printer hooked to a 375 power inverter that is plugge in to the cigarette lighter. I've had no problem for the first couple of weeks but now the inverter "alarms". I turn it off and then back on and it alarms in about 30-45 seconds. A couple of times when I'm parked it has worked but as soon as I put the vehicle in gear it alarms. I've replaced the car battery and still have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us