Amp is hot

please help
Unregistered guest
I got home and was checking out my subs when i hit against my amp. The sucker was very hot. Does this mean it my amp overheated? When i turned it on the protect light didn't come on but the thing was burinig up. I don't know much about car audio so i need some help.

Bronze Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 60
no as long as the amp doesnt go into protect mode it should be ok because all amps warm up after use...also its summer so its hot as hell outside..lol

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2240
What kind of amp do you have? Most amps only get hot if there running too low of an ohm load. That is, as long as its really hot... you can't stand to tutch it for a few seconds.

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 22
first of all, what brand amp is it? that could explain a lot.

please help
Unregistered guest
it is an Infinity amp; 116 wats RMS at 4 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 272
i would gather that that is your problem. you are straining your amp. probably have the gains on the amp all the way up and still cranking the volume at high levels-asking the amp to provide more power than it is capable of. when amps get hot, they distort signals. particularly if you are pushing clipped signals by doing the above mentioned. its just a guess, but i recommend a amp that is capable of driving subs. more than one, at that. that is likely not enough power for your subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 39
What model amp is that? To my knowledge, infinity amps are stable down to 2 ohms (check me on that guys) so the fact that its getting really hot driving a 4 ohm load is not a good sign. When using underpowed amps, most people turn the gain up and the voume way up in order to give the sub the power it needs. This causes the amp's signal to clip and the amp to get hot, as far too much current is passing through its circuitry. This heat only causes the amp to loose efficiency, so it has to clip even more in order provide the same amount of current. Assuming the amp can truly procude 116W RMS at 4 ohms without distortion, in order to get it that hot, you may be pulling as much as 50-75 clipped watts out of the amp. At 100% clipping, the amp produces a maximum of 2x its rated power. How many subs are you running off this amp and are you sure you're running it at 4 ohms, and not a 2 ohm load? Irregardless, buy a bigger amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us