ATTN GOLD MEMBERS: why break-in new sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 62
I have an IDMAX10v.3D2 and it says to break it in for at least 1 week before max level? What's best way to do that and why? Also, what could potentiall happen if I only wait 4 days (vs 7)- or even worse, if I don't wait at all?

Thanks for your professional advise and knowledge.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 508
the main reason u break-in a sub is to maintain its SQ. all you need to do is keep it turned down to a moderate level don't run the sub to its max potential for a few days. 4 days should be more than enough. Most people dont really break in their subs its just one of those personnal preferances.

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 509
i try to break mine in but sometimes its hard :-)

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2863
Companies recommend it so you can check everything out, and make sure everything is hooked up right. Just play it low for a day or two untill your sure everything is fine. You don't wanna just get it all hooked up, and then go blast it as loud as you can...

Breaking them in can also help loosen up the suspension before you play at louder levels. It may take a little while before the sub is loose and working to full ptential, and before then it may not sound as good as it should. People may complain about their sub not sounding perfect the first couple days they get it hooked up, so the companies suggest you break them in first before you really test them out. - I think that was what Alpine was trying to get at... :-)

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 515
lol you say it much clearer :-)

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1845
hey alpine, you cant answer your not a gold member :-)

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 517
getting closer :-)

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1848
ha. just 483 more posts.

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 519
and closer

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 57
I think I can beat you alpine....considering I'm only bronze.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 120
unregistered, new member, bronze, silver, gold doesnt mean anything. I have read alot of posts from people with more posts than me and well.......... they re the ones asking for advice, not me. Ughhhuuummm yeah........

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 124
Hey Sean, another reason companies tell you to break the sub in before thrashing it is to "heat cycle" all of the adhesive points in the sub. You heat the adhesives used to join parts of the sub together when you play the sub and then allow the adhesives to cool when you turn the system off. By doing this over and over again during the break in period the adhesives form a more positive and lasting bond and will hold up much better than when brand new. If you just pound the hell out of the sub right off the bat, you run the risk of ruining the adhesive bonds in the sub and having to get it repaired. Not that damage to the sub is a garauntee or anything, but it's wise to take some precaution when you are spending that kind of money on a sub. Also, like previously mentioned, a subs suspension does need to loosen up a bit to really sound as good as possible, and that usually takes a bit of playing time to accomplish. Hope that helps some too.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 180
LOL! I've had my Eclipse Ti's for a couple weeks now, and I STILL havn't turned them up past about 1/2 volume... I'm sure they can handle it, it's just the fact that I can't handle it... And I'm deaf as sh!t.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1225
its not really adhesive purposes..

its to loosen the suspension, mainly the spiders so you don't go turn your amp up and rip a spider off or in half..

other than that, theres not much breaking in will help with.. once the spiders loosen up, you will be able to atain full xmax thus being louder :D

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4137
Many subs don't sound the best before being broken in anyway, especially if they have a really tight suspension. You'll notice lots of brands stating "for optimum performance/sound, allow the speakers a break in period of "x" amount of hours". Many times this is so that you don't go by initial impressions, say "this sub sucks", and take it back immediately. It gives you hope that it will sound better after loosened up. That on top of the fact that it's easier to hear errors in the speaker when volumes are lower, such as voice coil scraping, mechanical noise, and so forth. Those are the main reasons.

Good to see you back, bacon, haven't seen you on here in a while.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 127
its_bacon12, I agree with you that the main reason for breaking in a sub is too loosen the suspension up, but I didn't just pull that heat cycle comment out of my a$$, it's straight from the Image Dynamics techs.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2810
hey mixneffect just remember asking a question isnt always an indication of wether a person deserves a gold status or not. A person isnt always going to know all the answers by himself. After all thats how you learn and broaden your knowledge base.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
As always, the best of the forum emerge when GOLD MEMBER status is indicated... THANKS YOU GUYS!!! You're all very wise and knowledgeable (well, regarding car audio at least). lol. I appreciate the input very much. This is the best forum I've ever seen... it's just hard to get the smart ones to answer. Like I said, thanks you guys!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Also, if anyone has any specific advise or information regarding my new sub and how to get peak performance out of it... that would be GREAT!!! I'm all through breaking it in now, but sometimes when a certain type of bass hits, it almost sounds like a loose phart or something! Not cool! What can I do?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1852
well i think that the number of posts doesnt mean that much, cuz im gold and ill ask a ton of questions if im unsure or just want to learn something new. im still relitivly new to this stuff, just trying to learn. and if you arent a high end member here mixn, your probably are on some forum somewhere....

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3414
yeah number of post really doesnt mean much I mean look at subfanatic he has 4000+ posts and still doesnt know anything! lolol j/k sub. I have never broken in a sub and have never had any problems. what I do always do though is turn it on low to hear for any imperfections in the sound and if all is well then up up it goes:-)

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1855
hey buddy i tried callin you last night man. you were asleep. old man

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3416
yeah my wife told me I went out fishing all day and had a few to many beers so I KO'ed at like 10.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1856
nice. catch anything? fucki.n subf i havent heard from him. i hope he sent my sh!t and got his.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3418
yeah man you arent the only one who has sent him sh!t and not heard from him! I hope you do soon or I am guessing you are taking a trip to KY.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2878
He's probably a very thurough con man with a lot of time on his hands. Haha. He spent all this time on the forum just to gain your trust, and then steal your stuff and move to Mexico. That b@stard....

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1859
ok. he said he got my stuff and sent mine. i hope i get it today or tomorrow.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3419
I hope so too man!

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 551
what in the hell did u give and get? if u dont mind me asking :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
1st of all: What about my question? if u don 't mind me asking? lol
2nd of all: when you ask a question like that, you put the other person on the spot, because if it's something private, he has to make it seem like it's not, and if it's not something private then he would have already stated what it was. Chances are, it's improper - so don't go and ask questions like that and put people on the spot. Now he's forced to ignore you, lie to you, or assume that I'm totally wacked out for writing this.
lol

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 556
um...O K

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1862
haha. its cool man. we traded a few things. ill tell you guys when i get it.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3446
hahaha I know I know! lolol!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 133
ha ha ha i dont care about ratings, i only come here cuz i m bored and i like givin advice cuz i love this hobby, thats al.

peace

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 111
I break in my subs with 10,000 watts rms :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3467
hahaha I heard that works well Zac:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
.. .... .. .. .... .. .. .... ..
S - O - S

Somebody help me, I promise not to make anymore dumb a$$ remarks. Come on, I'm dying here!

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 115
gibson, your dying why?

play the subs man, however loud you want, your not going to hurt them, trust me.
the sq will get a little, (very slight) within a a few hours of playing.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3489
I comletely agree man if it sound bad its prob your enclosure. That is a good sub if you got it new I wouldnt worry about it but if its not the enclosure then send it back if possable and get a new one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
You guys don't think there's any way that I phuked it up from distortion or something??? Check it out, I play it for a short while, and when it warms us (2 mins or so) that nasty snap, click, static sound occurs when the bass hits. At high levels it happens faster, but once it's happening, it happens at almost all levels. Wierd, huh? I swear to God it's true, please respond!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
I mean, it KICKED A$$ for like a week! I was SOOOOO happy!!! Please tell me it's not the voice coil... the warranty doesn't cover the voice coil...

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 528
sounds like an amplifier issue.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
screw being registered, im here to help, not get a badge.

Why? Why wouldnt you want to turn on a deisel engine in a semi and just leave with a load, in the middle of winter?

it isnt warmed up yet, and ready to take a beating.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us