Do I Need Another Set of Components (Excelon Dual Mags Enough?)

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 72
Ok what I plan to run right now is 1 set of Excelon Dual Mags 6.5 Components, in a Nissan TItan KC. I have made MDF Adapters to change the fronts from 6x9's to 6.5's. I plan to mount the weeters in their stock locations on the dashboard...

Along with these components I plan to run 2 Adire Kodas under the back seat in a sealed box(600 watt RMS amp).

I'm wondering if my older dual mags (60p's) will be loud enough (the purple ones not the grey ones).

I have an eclipse 75 watt x 2 channel amp which is overkill for my component set, unfortunately it's not a 4 cannel amp.

So my question is, should I be using this component set for the rear doors and buy a cheap amp for them, while replacing the front speakers with better components? OR will I be getting enough sound? Should I buy a cheap set of speakers to replace the stockers in the rear and run them off the HU? The stockers in the rear are 2 ohm, so I had to wire them in series/mono to run them off my HU.

Will this component set produce enough sound ( I have them from a previous vehicle)? I know the best way is to test but I have the truck apart for sound deadening all 4 doors and the floor, running the wire for the amps is the last stage, and I'd like to get my doors backtogether so I have door handles agaain.

Looking for some suggestions and advice from the experts. If I was to get another set of components would getting the Eclipse 3 ways be a good choice? I have an Eclipse CD5444, and the 75x2 amp is eclipse also. What are my best options for about $500! Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Did I stump you guys?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4125
Were you happy with the Dual Mags in your other vehicle? They should keep up with the subs. Biggest thing to consider is if they provide the quality of sound you're after. If you don't think so, then spend the moolah on better speakers up front and move those to the rear. $500 can land you a good component system, such as CDT HD components, Focals and Dynaudios (on ebay), and so forth. Plenty of options out there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Jonathan, I have been looking into CDT Diamond and Focals, Seems Diamonds are right in my price range $300 for the S600s on ebay and $450 for CDU Eurosports, I can't find the CDT HD's on ebay.

I plugged in my dualmags and discovered one of the tweeters is dead, and cannot be replaced identicaly. I can get the new series excelon tweeters which are not slik tweets but they are $90 jsut for the tweeters.

I have also been looking into the eclipse 3-ways I htink I have enough power for them however, im not sure I will like a titanium tweeter.

I think I am going to get the new excelon tweets to repair my old set and move them to the rear and run them off the HU.

However I only have a 75x2 (300x1) eclipse amplifier for my components, I do however have a Hifonics 150x2 or 600x1 Zeuse amp I could but if I purchase another amp for my subs (I was planning to use this amp to drive 2 RLi 10's or Kodas, I did not realize how power hungry decent components are.

Diamonds and the CDT's want about $100 watts more than my amp will produce (150-170 watts RMS!), the eclipse are only rated a few watts more (up to 100 watts RMS).

I don't know what to do please help! I'm sick of driving around with no inner door handles!.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
not sure why it keeps saying I am not the last person who posted.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4145
I'd ditch the tweeter replacement idea and just put the midbasses in the rear. Invest that money in fronts. CDTs and Diamonds are pretty efficient and will work well with 75 watts, the Focals will as well. Dynaudios are power hungry, though. DLS is another good alternative and they aren't bad in price at all, great sets, especially if you like a silk tweeter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
I hear alot of great thigns about the CDT's but they seem to have a few different series. If I was to get CDT's shoudl I jsut get the CLassic set that is going on ebay for $150 or the HD unit? The classics say 90 watts RMS and HD's say 180...will they both get to the same volume at 75 watts or would the Classics be better for my application?

I will go checkout the DLS now...

If I put just teh midbasses in the rear and run them off the HU, should I even use the crossover or just make adjustments on the HU?

thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Jonathan which modles shoudl I be looking at of CDT or DLS ? How does one decide to get one brand over another? The DLS MS6 looks nice, would these be substantialy better than my dual mags? How would they compare to diamonds?
I can get the
CDT Classics for $150,
DLS MS6's for $200
Diamond Hexes for $300
CDT HD's for $400
CDT Euro's for $450
Lotus Performance series for $450
DLS UP6 for $400
DLS UR6 for $540

Also looking into 3-ways since I had to make an adapter to change from 6x9 to 6.5 in my FRONT doors I have some extra space but I'm not sure this would be ideal for a truck.

Would you recomend I buy a new amplifier to run these or is eclipse 75x2 @ 4 ohms enough?

I'm doing any competitions or anything but I do want some killer sound. I listen to Metal, Rap, Reggae, rock etc and im not big on harsh tweets thats why I picked the dual mags 5 years ago.

If I run the mids off the HU for the rear I think they produce less sound than the stock speakers (stock speakers are 2 ohms so i wired them in 4 ohm to one channel of the HU)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us