Is this true? Isaac or glass please answer this one!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Blitzedeclipse

Post Number: 25
is it true that watts are pretty much going to waste if your powering more than 600 or so to a 15" l7?

A car audio shop owner told me that pretty much after 600 watts you'll be losing it in heat?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 173
I probably wouldn't shop there anymore. An L7 takes 1000w rms and I'm not sure about Kicker, but manufacturers often use thermal power handling with ratings. It'll take up to at least 1000w before it will heat up enough to start anything. This is also for extended periods of time at that power level. Unless you crank your music all the time, there will be no problems. I've heard of people running 1500+ daily and haven't had problems.

If what he says is true, then why don't comp vehicles combust the secound they are turned on (100000w flowing)?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 491
I think the owner may have been saying that the sub maxes out mechanically at around 600W.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3291
Mickey, sometimes depending on your enclosure design, a sub can reach is maximum excursion before the rated power limit. When that happens, you won't get much benefit with increased power.
I think your car audio owner was exaggerating a bit with his statement.
600W of clean power may sound like a lot, but in bass world, it's average. As long as you supply undistorted sound, most subs will handle the max power and more without overheating/breaking down.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us