NEED HELP WITH HU!!!

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 115
Ok, so the proffesional dude in the audio store told me today that the Kenwood (X589) HU I was looking at was a pretty good HU but he said that an Alpine is a step above... (Money is TIGHT). He said that the "bass engine" of Alpine would boost the bass a ton... My question is Head to Head which is better for my listening habits (metal/rap)

Alpine CDA-9851
- 3, 2 volt preouts (was hoping for more
- Bass engine
- 18wrms X 4

Kenwood X589
- 3, 4 volt preouts
- 22wrms X 4
- 3 EQ bands (compared to none on the Alpine)

I want HARD hitting bass and nice clean crisp mids and highs... Which is an overall better HU?

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 116
anyone?

Username: Kickass

Post Number: 3
couldn't tell you about alpine but i've owned 3 kenwoods and haven't had a problem. Right now I have a KDC-MP522. The one in my last car was a KDC-715S. I forget the model of my first one but it was basically bottom of the line kenwood with the detachable face I bought when I was seventeen. Looking at getting the kenwood dvd head unit with the screen, can't think of the model # right now, once I can spare the $$

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 117
anyone else?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3298
If I were you, I'd look for an HU with at least 4v rca outs.
Any reason why you only listed 2 models? I'd go with other Alpine/Eclipse units. If money is a problem, try Pioneer/JVC/Kenwood/Clarion(hate them).
Between those 2, I'd take Alpine. It does come with bass control for frequency, width and level (similar to parametric equalizer).

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 118
Kenwood is the only HU with 4v rca outs. The Alpine doesn't have them until you get into the 3-400 dollar range. Also, the Kenwood has an equalizer built in. I want to spend a total of $150 on ebay, including shipping. The kenwood is the best option I have seen so far.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 120
also I heard the 24 bit DAC (compared to most others 1 bit) makes the quality of sound incredible for the Kenwood.

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 354
Alpine is better but quick question for you did you know this was the subwoofer board?

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 121
yes

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 124
Why wouldn't the Kenwood be better? Better stats/EQ etc. and better reviews overall.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 358
I personally have always liked alpine the best for head units. Better quality over all. The comment you made about the alpines not having 4v pre outs until over $300 is incorrect also I got my 9827 for 200 shipped off ebay. If you like the kenwood better get it I think alpine is better. I know more people who use alpine than any other brand for HUs

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 359
Looking at ebay they still have plenty of 9827s id get that its a great HU with the 4v pre outs bass engine and it does have an eq setup

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 125
any more opinions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us