L7s or W6v2

Username: Qcsfinest

Post Number: 1
I have a jeep grand cherokee and I was wondering which subs hit harder two 12 L7s or W6v2s. The L7s are 750 watts continous while the w6v2s are only 400. Which one should i buy?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2134
W6's... no comparison!

Post Number: 2
what im tryin to figure out is why it is no comparison?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2136
Well, the square shape of the Solo's cone's causes stresspoints in the subs cone causing it to fale, or break. The older solo's had a lot of problems with that.
Second, they have no sq, just spl... wich is fine if thats all you're looking for.
JL, on the other hand, makes great products, and have great reliability/quality. They are great sq, and still have some spl.
The JL is the better buy, if you can afford them, and afford a good amp to push them... and want sq.
If you just want spl, then the L7's might be the subs for you!

Post Number: 3
I thought they corrected that problem with there new subs. everyone ive talked to says to get the L7 because square subs hit harder than circle because its more surface area. What is SQ?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2156
sq is sound quality... how good it sounds.
Yes, square subs do have more surface area... meaning more bass. I think they have something like 20% more surface area or something.
As far as the new ones being fixed... don't know.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2157
But, if in the right inclosure... you can get the w6's to be just as loud, if not louder. JL is one of the top sub's out... you won't find much better... like I said, it just depends on how much money you actually want to spend, and what type of sound you're looking for.
P.s, do you already have an amp?

sic402
Unregistered guest
all right how about a 12 inch CVR or those JL's?

Post Number: 4
Yea, i have a amp. I also have one L7 in a ported box. For it to be one sub it hits hard, almost harder than my old two 12s. One of my friends is getting the W6s so i want to make sure i can hit the same or harder than him. right now my SQ is good, i dont have a problem with it.
One new Questions.
what kind of door speakers do i need if i do get 2 L7s or w6s. I have my factory speakers in now and i am having a hard time hearing the words. i am considering Pioneer 6'1/2 pioneer 4 ways or kicker ds series 3 way. i would like to stay under 200 for 2 pair. Im tryin to ball on a budget.

sic402
Unregistered guest
i personally like the Pioneer Revs, but currently im trying some polks, im not sure on model or anything someone threw them in for me to try, they are damn good also

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2162
Hmmmm, well, if you're trying to hang with a w6... or beat a w6... you have a few options.
You could go with the same sub... but that isn't cool.:-)
RE x.x.x but you'll need a pretty big amp.
You could go with a w7, but prob not the best choice sense you said you're on a budget.:-) lol
You could go with some Eclipse TI's,
Maybe an Ascendant Audio Avalanch.
As far as speakers, most people like to go with components. Usually sound better, and the tweeters make it easier to hear.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2163
P.s, are you going to keep you're amp, or get a different one, or does it just depend on what sub you end up picking?

truth1
Unregistered guest
run the kicker into the ground and put the smile on your face that you want and the frown your friends will have once you blow them a way, oh noooo you dont want to do that you want sq so when you real turn your jl up it will bottem out trust me i have a 13 w7 and a jl 1000-1 and it bottems out on some of the hig beats it just get muffeled.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4120
I'd take a pair of Funky Pups before I'd take an L7. I'm not a W7 fan either, but at least it's reliable and not inherently flawed by the design. L7s reliability is about on the same level that Sony Xplod amplifiers are on, the SQ sucks, resonances are odd, cones are weak, the surrounds tend to fail, lead slap occurs, motors aren't exceptionally well designed in BL strength over any respectable bandwidth. The excursion is limited from the entire design of the sub, which in sealed boxes isn't a good thing, ported it doesn't really matter. Sealed, any initial advantage the L7 had in surface area would be eventually overtaken by a subwoofer that had a longer, clean stroke to it like a Brahma or X.X.X.. Competition would be a different story, but I were competing I'd be buying DD subs.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 176
ooooohhhh, funky pups!! i second the motion, lol.

truth1
Unregistered guest
well soon as i smoke mine i too will second that, i have w7 in my other car and i just dont like it so much at low volumes it love but when i max it it gets mudy, i do agree that puting kicker in a sealed box is like asking to buy new one but ported they will hang at least for the past cuple years?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us