Need help on wiring powered sub

Username: Juliel

Post Number: 1
I just got an audiovox bass tube (yes, I'm cheaping out until I can figure out how much space in my Tribute to devote to subs, and afford to get the good stuff) and I have a Pioneer 3700MP head unit with front and rear preouts. The subwoofer has inputs for power and ground, then just two other inputs - one pos and one neg - that are supposed to run to the speakers. These inputs are the screw types, so i guess you strip the wire and wrap it around the screw.

My question is, do I splice into the pos and negative inputs of the SAME speaker to run the sub? Pos of one speaker and negative of another? front or rear speakers? The instuctions that come with it just say you "connect to the speakers" but give no indication of WHICH speakers to use.

Can anyone advise me? I don't want to be in there stripping and splicing a bunch of wires until i find something that works. Thanks!!!

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 569
Yeah, I suppose you just hook up a rear speaker wire to the sub.

I'm extremely surprised it doesn't just have RCA jacks for a sound input, but then again...it is Audiovox.

Post Number: 2
Ok, rear speaker, got it, but which one? Do i hook up the pos and neg inputs from one speaker, and then if i change the balance, it would seem that the sub will also go in and out with that speaker?

I need to know where those two connections are to be made - the pos and the neg terminals . . . And, no, it doesn't have RCA jacks, and I understand this is not a high tech piece of equipment (if it were, it would have enough hook ups and documentation that i wouldn't ahve to ask) so, I really just need help and not so much the denigration of what i have.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3391
so you got a self amplified tube? there are no RCA connections on the amp? I am lost . It doesnt sound right I wouldnt go cutting other wires please give me a model # of the bass tube you are running I will try to help you out.

Post Number: 3
Yeah, it's a tube with its own amp, and just those four screw connections. It's an Audiovox Rampage TBA-100.

Thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3394
http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/BA-100.pdf well that says you need to splice into either one of your rear speaker pos + neg and just loop them into your sub. I have never seen anything like this before. I guess it has a automatic sensing remote turn on which is pretty cool. install looks pretty easy. let me know how it sounds for $50

Post Number: 4
Question about doing this into either both of the left, or both of the right, wires, is, say I wire it to the left and then adjust the balance. As the left speaker goes, so goes the subwoofer, right? (This is just how it seems to me). IT would make sense to do this if I had two tubes and one wired to each speaker, and my initial thought was that maybe these were really meant to be sold in pairs, one for each speaker. . .

Am debating giving it all up and buying a different unit right now but I hate to have wasted money on this one.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3292
Julie, that's some screwed up sub. Connecting to either left or right channel will only give you half the bass/sound. Sometimes a music can contain 2 different bass/drums on each channel. If all you want is bass, then I guess it'll work. For SQ, that setup is not practical.
If you're going to go through that much grief, why not get a proper amp and sub?
I also think you purchased wrong type of bass tube. There are some that take both left and right channels instead of one.

Post Number: 5
That's why i was wondering if I was supposed to pick up pos from the left and neg from the right - or vice versa.

the reason not to get a "proper amp and sub" right now is that I just traded in my Tiburon, took a HUGE hit on negative equity to buy the Tribute, and don't really have $300 plus to do the expensive audio stuff right now (esp after I bought a new head unit and iPod controller).

somethingrediclousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
u can awlays get a bazooka tube. those are prety nice. i got my buddy a 10" 200 watt powered tube for around 170

Gold Member

Post Number: 3296
Whoa, that sounded a bit weird. For someone short in cash you bought quite of stuff! :-)
Don't take one wire from each channel to power your sub. HUs can not be briged.
How much did you spend on the bass tube? If you bought 2 of them, wouldn't it almost equal an cheap/used amp and sub?
Most of the amps in the bass tubes are poor quality.
I think you got screwed with the trade in.

Post Number: 6
Um, no, i used a gift card for most of it, but, that's neither here nor there, nor is the trade in issue, becuase i'd only had the tib 6 months and it had to go.

I am either going to make this one work or say screw a sub. No more large sums of money out of my pocket. Not ordering another one of these. i was really looking for someone who could tell me how to make this work, not a running commentary on what i should have purchased or my car trades. I probably should have not even asked on this forum; i should have known the ansewr would have mostly been to spend more money on something else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3297
Well you could purchase a cheap amp for $30 that come with speaker level input and use that with your bass tube. What that'll do is, it'll take both channels and combine it into mono. You can then take the bridged output from the amp to the sub.
If your HU has rca preouts, then just about any cheap amp will do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us