Does a ported box tuned to...

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 235
Does a ported box tuned to 39hz make frequencies below that less loud than if the sub were in a sealed box?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 160
Not at 39hz it won't. At around 30hz and below, a sealed box will be louder.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 237
thats what i said. I know around the tuning frequency its loud, but the sound is so much quieter at the deepest lows and I was wondering if a ported box tuned to 39hz would make the lowest frequencies less loud than a sealed box would.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Reread my post...

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 238
You don't understand me..

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4106
After a certain point it will. Ported boxes roll off at a rate of 24db/oct below their tuned frequency (It will be 24db quieter the next octave down, which in the case of 39hz, that will be at 19.5hz), while sealed boxes roll off at a rate of 12db/oct below their resonant frequency (It will be 12db quieter an octave down, and since sealed boxes usually resonate around 40-50hz in most enclosures, that will be around 20-25hz). Cabin gain of the vehicle helps compensate for the rolloff of both of these enclosures, but that doesn't matter in this case as the vehicle is a constant in the comparison. If you had a ported box tuned at 39hz, and the same sub in a sealed box with a .707Qtc (average size sealed box), then the sealed would begin to get louder around high 20s in frequency and anything below that. That is generalized as sealed enclosures vary in their resonance depending on the driver used and the size of the enclosure. Subs in most sealed boxes resonate around 40-50hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 75
its bad to have your port tuned to high because you will damage your sub if you play loud notes below the frequancy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Here's a graph to simulate what Jonathan and I said (Yellow is sealed and Green is ported):

Upload

Sorry for the crappy quality, it took me about 8 seconds in Paint to do.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 240
So my box tuned to 39hz, which plays the lowest frequencies hardly as loud as (im guessing) frequencies around the port tune, will still play the lowest frequencies louder than if it were in a sealed box?

If so, I don't understand how my cussin's, who use sealed boxes, play all bass lines in the same loudness, if not the lowest ones even louder.

The whole point is to just get the lowest frequencies in bass lines to come in the same if not louder than ones above, without spending $200 on a custom box. I was told a sealed box would fix my problem, giving more of a flat response.

If that's the case, the lowest notes would be even quieter, as well as other bass notes?

That can't be true because I have the best subs in my family (Type R's) and their subs in sealed boxes are much louder.

If I go to a local audioshop, will they let me put my speakers in a sealed box and see how it sounds before I buy one? If so, are prefab sealed boxes bad like prefab ported ones?

Thx for the replys so far.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 241
Woops, their subs WOULD be much louder if what I said was true. Im the loudest right now, just not when it comes to really low frequencies (which only come up in a few rap songs).

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 244
bump

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 245
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums