Well Johnathan...

Bronze Member
Username: Ssoonr

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 41
I thought I had my mind made up and this was a done deal, but I guess I am getting buyers cold feet and would like a little reassurance that I am making the right decision. I am not quite to where I started in the begining, but I am close, as I am totally lost. I have a list of 3 sets of speakers that I can not figure out which to go with.

Dynaudio MKII
DLS Iridiums 6.2
Seas Lotus Reference 6.5"

To refresh your memory, I am doing an install in a newer body style Camaro in custom kick panels. I did not like the Perfects/MB Quarz/Boston Acoustics (Pros/Z6)... as I thought they were too bright. My listening habits: usually not loud and I mostly listen to alternative and country (with the occasional rap and rock). My installers are the best that I could find in Texas and surrounding states, and before I spend huge amounts on custom kickpanels, I want to make sure my speaker choice is the strongest for the application possible.

I have only heard the dyn's and loved them on a sound board and in a truck I previewed. I liked the way they seemed to disappear. You have suggested to look into the esotar, however my installers are begging me not to do that or a 3-way set.

If you would, describe the tonality differences in the different component sets. You stated the DLS's would be a little more lively and powerful than the Dyn's, care to add anything else.

The speakers will have a 30 band eq. I was planning on getting the Dyns, but someone also mentioned the Seas, and I am having trouble finding any comments on that set.

These will be powered by a Arc 4150 xxk or TRU 2.200.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 42
Also add Morel Elates to that list

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4103
Dyns and Morel are somewhat similar in characteristics, warm, transparent, and sweet sound to them, neutral drivers. Both power hungry as well. Like you stated, DLS are a bit more lively throughout the range. Most transparent goes to the Dyns when set up correctly. I could see why an installer wouldn't want to do the Esotar set, those tweets are HUGE. The audible result is worth the hassle IMO, though. 2 ways I'd go with the Dyns or Morels, 3 ways I'd go DLS, just personal preference.

Seas I haven't mentioned before, but they are GREAT components. Seas is the company that makes drivers for Rainbow Audio, just for info. The Lotus is a great set, but biggest thing to remember is that it uses a magnesium coned midbass, which requires a notch filter to tame the high freq resonance. The passive EQ that comes with the component set already has a notch filter , so you're good to go, all I'm getting at is that running active is a no-no unless you intend to design your own notch filter. That aside, those drivers are extremely well detailed, the midbass has some of the most detailed and accurate midrange and midbass performance out of nearly any 6.5" car audio mid. Low bass isn't quite as good as that from Dynaudio and DLS, but they'll handle down to the crossover with your subs, around 70-80hz. Tweeters are equally nice, even the metal tweet is tame and not overbearing, and very detailed. I've considered using Seas drivers myself for my next setup. Overall sound, they are very natural, dynamic, and a bit on the dry (bass/midbass is a bit lean instead of a heavy, fat sound) side.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 43
So here is what I did, and also what I am thinking. I had an opportunity to buy the DLS Iridiums and bought them, I figure if I dont like them, I will get something else later down the road. Those will be powered by a burr brown tru t2100. I drive a Camaro, so kickpanels would be a difficult adjustment to make. I also want the ability to take everything out of my car without anyone knowing it was ever there. I sat down with the installer and he suggested building a pod mounted from my door panel, and building it out to where it came out along the door. He said this would leave plently of depth for any other speaker I wanted to put in there, and sound better than putting them in stock position. Thoughts on this?

Tomorrow I will pick up my HU, alpine 9855. All I lack is the bottom end. My two options: 1. build a box in the drivers side cubby hole, it would be a little less than 1 cubic foot and need to be a sealed 10". Option 2. Take out my spare tire and put a box on the other side of the trunk, still tucked away for practicallity reasons, and the installer started talking 2 cubic ft, 12" sub and ported.
If it were your car, would you do a sealed 10" and keep the spare tire, or loose the spare and do the 12" ported. I am after sq NOT SPL what-so-ever. I know some of the main differences in ported/sealed, just wondering your thoughts.
Colin

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4155
As far as components, you made a good decision and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. The Dyns are picky about their install and to get the full transparency from them usually means kick panels. The Esotar isn't mandatory, the MD100 tweeter is very nice as well. The DLS will work better in a door spot IMO, and aren't as power hungry. They're still a very neutral system, just a bit more powerful in some areas IMO, not a bad thing and not overbearing by any means. You'll definately be happy if neutrality and a smooth sound is what you're after. If you are strict SQ and after no SPL whatsoever, I'd go with the 10" as it will blend in better with the front drivers. A good 10" will still hit the low notes well. If I were to take the spare out and put a sub in there, my luck would be that I'd have a flat the next day :-) Not a bad thing either way. Ported can have a very clean sound and good SPL, but for purist SQ in terms of phase shift, transient response, and flat frequency response in a car, sealed wins out.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4156
Let me go further with my description of the DLS sets being a bit more powerful, I don't want to sway you one way or the other. The bass performance is more pronounced, not in your face, but more pronounced. The set's upper midrange is a little soft, giving the set a deeper tonality to it.

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 82
Wow I'm looking at the same thing, only I can't afford teh seas Lotus Reference only the performance. But I can get a deal on the DLS Iridiums too. My other choice is to do an active setup with RE XXX mid 6.5s because I hear the only thing that beats them is Rainbows, but the whole active setup is looking like it will cost me considerably more. Thanks for the description of the DLS Jonathan, sounds liek the DLS would be a good choice for my door pannel install.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4160
They are great for a door. It's hard for me to lay out the difference in DLS and Dynaudio because any difference seems like it's more extreme than it is :-), they're just slight differences, nothing major. Both are great, neutral sets with a nice tonality to them, the difference in words are ever so slight. The Dynaudios are very picky about install due to the crossovers. DLS Iridiums are a fantastic component set, they took Scott Buwalda to another winning year in IASCA, easier to get optimum imaging as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 83
yea to be honest they are probably overkill to for me, I tossed out the idea of the Dynaudios because I wanted to attempt to run these on the amp I have.

Also the reason I decided not to go with XXX and an active setup, sounds like more than I really need since I will be using sub woofers. Probably toss the mids from my old set (dualmags)into the rear doors, and if I can find some cheap tweeters I might just mount them in the doors also somehow and run them off the HU.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 44
Jonathan, know anything about dls amps/subs... thinking about going all dls. Maybe their 5 channel a7, bridging to the front and still leaving me enough power for a thier sub (ur10) in the back.
OR
for a little more money, get a arc 1500 and 4150 with a idmax/idq/boston g5/xxx for my bottom end?

The five channel would be easier installation wise, but I am wary because I can not seem to find anything on their amps, any experience?

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 56
hey jonathan im looking for that 100-160 comp setup. you know anything about the dls ps6? would it compare to polk mm6500?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4162
Awesome amplifiers. You can't go wrong with DLS equipment, all of it is very good. I'd go with the A3 amplifier personally.

Dozy, I'd spend the extra money on the DLS personally. Depends on what you're after in sound, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 57
everything hahaha ok

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 45
?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4169
That 5 channel would offer plenty of power for a single UR10. The bridged front channels would offer more than enough for the components as well. It would offer a good bit of headroom and will be a great setup if you are after easy listening SQ and a ton of SPL isn't your concern. If you're wanting more SPL, you'd be better off getting either a larger subwoofer or multiple subs, and of course power to match it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us