Tweeters/ Crossovers

Bronze Member
Username: Birdcr

Post Number: 12
i want to put some new front speakers into my 106, i want some speakers which come with tweeters and crossovers, can somebody explain how to do this and if it can easily be done by a person with little experience. also will i need a power amp in my car to power 6x9's?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 481
Those are called components. You buy them in sets, they are already matched up and everything for you so you don't have to worry about that. Components need to be powered off of an amp because they generally use more power then a normal coaxial speaker would. You're almost strictly going to find components woofers in sizes 6.5" round, 5.25" round, and some other random round sizes, never oval (6x9, 5x7). Any other questions, don't be afraid to post.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
sorry i ment needing a amp to power 6x9's in the back! if need amp for component front speakers will i also need other amps for 6x9's and 2 10" subs?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 486
You need an amp for a sub no matter what. Even cheap Profile subs can't really be run off a HU and sound good.
Amping 6x9s generally makes them sound better. More reliable power instead of that cheap 20W HU amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
cool, so to power: component speakers, 6x9's and 2 10" subs, how many channel amp will i need?
would a beginner be able to install some component speakers easy enough

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
im finding it hard to find stereo components that would work together well, i found the following:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3347.html

this seems in my budget, any comments would be apriciated, Craig

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 495
I don't understand what you meant by "hard to find stereo components that would work well together".
That link is to 2 subs, the enclosure, amp, and wiring kit all together. I couldn't tell you how good those subs are, I've never heard or used Kenwood before.
You could use a 4 channel amp for all your speakers and then an amp for your subs, but those components are probably going to need more power than your 6x9s will.
Honestly, I would just get a 2 channel amp and power your comps and just not use your 6x9s. If you're gung ho on using the rear 6x9s, then run them off your HU for now, because buying a 2nd amp probably isn't in your budget.
You definately need another amp for your subs, however.
You could get a 4 channel amp, send then front left and right to your components and then bridge the rear channels to your subs. Unless you're buying that package.
Just some ideas. Let me know what you are thinking.

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 38
well ive heard them in demo, so dont take my word for it, but you can find better. they compare with alpine type E.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us