SPEAKERS WHISTLING!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Bass_buster_bob

Post Number: 49
ok, i have a problem. my speakers were working good before and all of a sudden they started this stupid thing where they whistly with the engine RPMs. it all started when i re-hooked up my amp which worked fine before and i had gotten it fixed for some problem(differant than this) and now it works except it whistles to the car engine and also does a weird thing. its a 4 channel amp and if i have only one channel plugged in and i turn up the gain the speaker starts vibrating like crazy, not to the music but in a steady vibration, even without music. and then when i start the car i hear whistling. so i just hooked up the speakers back to the wird again and now it even whistles with the old wires somewhat. its grounded good and the wires are on the opposite side of the power wire to the amp. I dunno. i tried everything i could think of and that annoying whistle is there. GRRRR!!!!! HELP SOMEONE!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4101
Disconnect your RCAs, and see if the problem is still there. If it is, then the noise is coming from the power supply, either outside the amp or internal. If the problem stops after removing the RCAs, then you know it's coming from either the RCAs , the head unit, or the input side of the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
its there without the amp even, just not as loud.

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Bad RCA's or poor RCA's will most likely be the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
hmm, well its somethin to do with the rears cause the fronts dont do it. But without the amp i am only using the regular speaker wires. i had scoche ones but they did it and i thought it was them so i tore em out. it still does it now with the original wires. I bought monster speaker wire but i dont wanna put it in till i get this thing figured out cause i aint gonna install expensive speaker wire only to have the thing sound all messed up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
p.s. im taking it to some install guy at a store to look at it. he said he should be able to figure it out in afew min. ill find out hopefully.

Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 7
hehe bad ground.....i had the same problem....turned out it was cheap power and ground wire. as soon as i moved the ground and upgraded the ground to battery wire up to ought gage it went away. i chased that problem down for 2 weeks......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
cool. thanks bud. Ill try that and hopefully that will do it then. I didnt think the ground wire to the deck itself had to be any thicker than the one it comes with though. Oh well. thanks though anyway.

Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 8
no i mean from the batterty to chasis ground under the hood of your car.......most of the time they put 10 gage wire under the hood....if you don't put upgrades in your stereo it's not an issue until you put an amp on em and then you can really hear the hiss.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
the battery is grounded to the chassis???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
ok, so where do i start the ground that goes to the chassis?

Username: Dr_sharp

USA

Post Number: 1
The negative terminal of the battery is at 0V... the chassisis also at 0V...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
im no pro on these things. so... whats the "OV"?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us