HELP! Amp Keeps Blowing Fuses

Unregistered guest
mmmmK here's my problem. i've got a 600 watt kenwood amp bridged to two 10in punch subs. i bought the dumb wiring kit and tried to do this myself. i ran the power cable from the battery throught a 100amp fuse and to the amp. ran my remote wire no problem, ran my rca cables no problem, hooked up the speakers no problem. the ground seems to be my issue. i've been told by people that i have too much power flowing in the pos. wire and not enough power leaving through the ground. my battery wire is 5 gauge most of the way but goes down to 8 before it gets to the amp. i thought the extra resistance from the step down might help. the ground is a 4 gauge which splits to 2 4 gauge wires halfway and is connected to 2 different places under my back seats. it was extremely difficult to find and good bolts in my explorer so i made due with what i had. now i cant think of anything else to do and everytime i turn on my car, bot 20amp fuses in the amp blow out. im tired of re-routing wires and buying fuses from autozone so somebody please help me.

xtonyrx
Unregistered guest
someone help me before i go completely insane.

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 13
You sound like you know what your doing, but did you scrape the paint away under the ground bolt? Also check for a short, seeing as how fuses are supposed to blow when there is a short. Check all your connections. :-(

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3371
why do you have your ground split into two places under your seat? just run 1 4 guage wire dont split it. Next how do you have your power wire going from a 5guage which I didnt know they made to a 8guage? are you using distro blocks or not? your wire should have no breaks in it unless absolutely nessecary! you are only running one amp so you should have 1 solid power wire back and one solid ground which should be no longet then about 24 inches.

xtonyrx
Unregistered guest
alright, i'm going to try to clean up all of the mess i've made and see if it works.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4282
from what i raed, i think he has his amp bridged to 2 ohms, anyone notice that, i beleive your amp is wired wrong and tahts what is doing it

xtonyrx
Unregistered guest
so how do i fix it? i just set up everything like james said. i simplified it all back to how it should be. 1 4 gauge ground, 1 4gauge power cable, and everything else, but it just blew another set of fuses. i know nothing about ohms at all so maybe that's the problem?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4291
from what i can tell that IS the problem, your subs are wired WRONG, give me a link to your subs and amp, i mean your exact subs and amps

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 150
Scosche wiring kits come with 5g power wire.

xtonyrx
Unregistered guest
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39734%26item%3D5781298467 %26%26#ebayphotohosting
thats the amp i have.

SoberSkull
Unregistered guest
hey dude. ok here is your problem. I had this exact problem too. Your "hot" positive wire, where you chance it from 5 gauge to 8 gauge, is that fused? if its not, it will blow the fuse before 5 seconds after turning thr power on. trying running just one gauge from the battery to the amp and see if it still blows.

xtonyrx
Unregistered guest
yeah i did it. 5 gauge all the way. still blows.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 33
Mine is 4 gauge... (scoshe) but it sounds like the resistance of your subs is at 2ohms, thats what is blowing your fuses... you cant bridge an amp in 2ohm unless its a mono or one that is made to do it... and i seriously kenwood or whatever you have is one that can be.... try hooking each sub to each channel. its going to give you the same amount of power anyways.. i bet you it wont blow a fuse again just try it that way.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 34
Mine is 4 gauge... (scoshe) but it sounds like the resistance of your subs is at 2ohms (total), thats what is blowing your fuses... you cant bridge an amp in 2ohm unless its a mono or one that is made to do it... and i seriously kenwood or whatever you have is one that can be.... try hooking each sub to each channel. its going to give you the same amount of power anyways.. i bet you it wont blow a fuse again just try it that way.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 319
Just unhook all the sub wires and see if the amp still pops the fuse.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us