Jonathan help plz

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 339
repost.. considering my abreviated version of your name was off lol "hey i was thinking about going for the jl xr series.. i was dissapointed after i herd the new type r comps ..lack in the woofer department and sounded pretty flat .. i herd the 2 way comp set at audio store it was pretty impressive.. but how would the xr 3 way comp sound in comparison .. would there be some increased midbass at all would they be brighter? or just a waste of money"

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4071
Not a whole lot of increased midbass over the 2 way set, treble is the same as well. Midbass and overall performance is a little cleaner since you're putting drivers in a narrower range, but not a huge difference. You're getting the same parts as with the 2 way, just with an additional 4" driver for midrange, and the main benefit is smoother midrange performance. Not a waste of money, if you liked the XRs and maybe thought the upper midrange could use a little help and want something that could potentially image better, then the 3 ways will do it for you. Main thing to consider with 3 ways is if you can accomodate the install, if you take that into account, then you can focus on choosing a system that offers improved midbass performance, you'll want set that has a little stronger midbass. Depends on how much you have to spend.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 341
hmm ok thanks ..i know i could accomidate the install .. any idea how much more the 3 way set would go for?? i was quoted 600 for the 2 ways

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4076
$600 for the JL XR 2 ways? Somebody was trying to rip you off BAD. They retail for $400, but even in stores like Tweeter you can get them in the $300s on specials. 3 ways retailed around $570.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 342
thats canadian

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 343
but yeh sounds like i might wanna go that way... how exactly do the 3 ways work? ive never set up a component set before .. do u only need a 2 channel amp for a set and each speaker is hooked in parrallel or something?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4078
Ok, didn't look and see you were from Canada. Makes more sense now. A 3 way set comes with a crossover, just like a 2 way set would. The crossover seperates the signal going to the drivers, you only need a 2 channel amplifier to power the set.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us