Smoking SUB!

Username: Dougiebaeb2003

Post Number: 2
Hi all.

I hooked my Kenwood 600W sub up to my mates JBL GTO 400W amp today and after about 10 seconds having it hooked up I could see and smell a lot of smoke. Does this mean I have blown it up or do they do this when they are brand brand new? If it is blown then I don't know how because he has a worse sub than mine and his dosn't blow. Any help would be nice.

Thanks Doug.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 296
Subs should never smoke or smell if they are working right. Some times the cones will get warm is the power is over the RMS rating. If could have been a bad sub or the voice coils may have shorted out. If the sub smoked I think it's dead.

Case
Unregistered guest
Yea you can throw that sub away. Get a new one.
Just never forget, the AMP NEEDS to HAVE MORE RMS than the Sub does!!!! Optimal is the amp 2*subwoofer RMS. so if you ahve a 500W RMS sub its good to have a 800 rms amp or more.

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 19
If you get an amp with more RMS...remember to adjust the gain accordingly.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 301
SWEET JESUS!
BUGGER ME MAN! I wont let you near my home THX sound system.
BUGGER ME, BUGGER ME!!!
Amateurs, hour!!!!!
And I happen to own the JBL 4645 THX sub bass, she's a mean Sub of a b!tch that can play to 126dbc and less is more, I've been running her for 7 years now, but BUGGER ME MAN!
Gods knows how you fried it must have crossed the wiring over, on step at a time, in fact baby steps, baby steps and you will have glory at the end, rush it and bye, bye and good night RIP!

To your sub bass, BUGGER ME!

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
To your sub bass, BUGGER ME!

Arced, that's the word that's what he did to those poor JBL's man.

He arced them big time, BUGGER ME!

He has become death the destroyers of sub bass units.

BUGGER ME MAN!

BanginBu
Unregistered guest
you say 2x the rms of the subs for an amp is good... so for 2 15" MA Audio subs with 600w rms... a 2400watt fosgate would be about perfect?
Sorry to kinda steal the thread... but this guys problem kinda pertains to my question...

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 526
Maybe if you kept them smoking long enough you could start a fire and make delicious s'mores.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Yeah and I'll break out the marshmallows too.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 186
mine was smokin a lil cause the ohm then had it at 2 just the amp got hot then i wired it 2 8 an when i had it up it smelled u think it was when i mess it up wit the ohm the first time but when i buy my 2 new 12s iam sendin that 1 an the other 1 back an tell them its the new 1 an get 4 new subs lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us