Is the DLS UP6 a good buy at $400, and vs. Dynaudio 240

Bronze Member
Username: Perk

Post Number: 13
I'm considering this from a local shop. I want neutral,realistic, SQ, and it has to be on the narrow side. I was hoping to stay below $400, should I be looking elsewhere for this $$$. Do the Dynaudio 240's offer a lot more, are they a steal at $500. The comps will be going in poorly positioned factory door locations and be paired with rear fill mids or coaxials, and an 8" subwoofer. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 151
if you are bent on running two ways and not 3's, then the dls and the dyns are great choices. the dyns are going to be slightly more neutral than the dls highs. i can get the dls iridiums 6.3 for 600.00 so for this reason ONLY, a two way dyn for 500 seems a bit high for my taste. i havn't seen the 340's go for less than 750.00, so 500 for the 240's would be just about right from this perspective. but you can't possibly go wrong with either. i remember glasswolf copped a 360 set some time ago off of ebay (i was going to bid, but respectfully backed off and copped the Dls's instead). he would be a great source as to how they sound.
pm me regarding where to get the best deals on both. warranty was included for mine.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4062
Really for most people I'd recommend the DLS 3 ways over the Dyns anyway. 2 ways it's a different story as they're not as tricky to install as the Dyn 3 ways are. The 240 set is fantastic, and the 240 Esotar set is about as close to heaven in a car you'll get (I LOVE the Esotar tweeter). Only problem with the Dynaudio 3 way set is that midrange uses a shallow slope crossover, it leads the driver to get a bit raw at higher volumes, it's not a problem for me as I don't really listen to music loud all that much, but most people like to listen to music loud at least every once in a while. Only other problem is that the range of the driver is fairly narrow when compared to the DLS set, it is crossed over at more critical frequency ranges (700hz and 4khz), making it more difficult to get the drivers to blend together well in most car installations. The DLS set has a mid that covers 350hz to 7khz, which covers basically the entire "intelligence" range. Not knocking the Dyns at all, they are an excellent component set, they're just trickier to get right and they are NOT for the types of people that want something that will get loud. Dynaudios win for neutrality if set up correctly, they are extremely neutral and don't add a lot to the music, they especially excel in vocals and bringing out subtleties in the music. The DLS sets do the same, but are a touch livlier, a little more shimmer and punch to them and not quite as neutral overall. Depends highly on the, whichever you can accomodate better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks for the replies.
My main goal is a system that has fantastic imaging and live realism at low volume. The comps will go along with rear door speakers(should I get pure midbass on coaxials here?) and a 10" Image Dynamics ID 10". Front door locations suck, as they're partially obscured by the dash.
Jonathan...whats your opinion on the UP6's (for$400), I'd love to be considering the Iridiums, but can't find a smokin deal right now.
The manager at the high end shop (DLS dealer) that will likely do my install told me today that he thinks the MMATS Pro 6.5 they carry ($329) is a touch better than the DLS UP6, and is recommending them for my application. Both have similar mounting depths of about 2.5" so they'll work for my narrow door. They don't have them hooked up to listen to. The Dyn's are spoken of so highly, if I could afford $500 for the 240's should I automatically go for them, considering the system characteristics I want?

Thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4063
Me personally, I'd shell out the extra $100 for the Dyns over the UP6, the Iridiums vs the Dyns would be a tougher choice though. Haven't dealt with the MMATS Pros to tell you about them, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Another ?. Would the system I've described be able to make use of the extra features on an Eclipse 8454 head unit, or should I save some money and go with the 5444?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4064
3 things to the 8454, full active x-overs, PEQ, and more advanced time correction. If you don't plan to use any of that, just get the 5444. IMO it's better to install the speakers in kick panels etc. than to use just time correction anyway. You wouldn't need the active x-overs, the PEQ is only put into use if you're using the active x-overs. Basically it boils down to time correction :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Is installing speakers in kick panels etc. the same as dynamatting the door panel? I'm not familiar with any of those three things you mentioned, will using those features result in better sound quality for my application? The 5444 is about $100 less.

On a separate subject :-), do you think it is ok to buy a slightly used high-end amp like the ARC 4050 for example, in order to get a higher quality item than I could afford new?

Thanks alot

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 154
no. dynamat reduces resonance and vibrations while retarding outside noise and maintaining the maximum spl of your interior.
kickpanels are located at your feet by the brake pedal. the advantage of kick panel installs is that they decrease the path length differences between the signals. i.e., if you have the speakers in the doors, the left door speaker would be much closer to your ear than the right speaker. at the kick panels, this difference is greatly decreased. but it still exists and that is why time alignment is essential to any install imo. and further, if you are looking into such high end components, you are going to really want to maximize their potential. the extras mentioned above are certainly worth the extra bill imo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well I hope the 5444 will be enough for top quality sound without the time correction because I already purchased. I thought it was too good a deal to pass on, and now I've got another $100 to place elsewhere in the system. Just hope the time correction stuff wont be missed. I actually decided on the 5444 last night after going through some of my old posts and remembered that Jonathan said I wouldn't use the time correction/ Pro features on the 8454 because I would be using mids in the rear.

Thanks

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 160
i tried researching that unit but couldn't find too much. but according to jonathan, the ta exists but is just more advanced in the 8454. i read reviews and everyone roars about how much they love their 5444. so i'm certain you'll be pleased w/the sound.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4066
When using rear speakers, you can't use Pro mode anyway, so you did a good thing getting the 5444. Didn't think to post that above. Pro mode does not control rear speakers because the preouts are used for a 3 way active setup, the front channel RCA outs are used for treble, rear channels are for mids, and then there is the sub preout. Anyway, time alignment is beneficial, but IMO it won't replace a well placed front soundstage. If you did a good install AND time alignment, then it's a different story :-). I believe that E-iserv allows you to get time alignment to a T with the 5444 if you use it, not sure about that though. Using the head unit itself, you can't control specific time alignment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us