Help! is the amp fried??

hector martinez II
Unregistered guest
okay so my friend and i was unhooking his sub's amp. He unscrewed the ground terminal and must have done something wrong cuz there was a bright spark followed by a burnt rubber/chemical smell and some smoke.
I asked him what happened and he said that either the ground wire touched the amp's casing or the terminal next to it which was the remote terminal. We hooked everything back up again and now there is NO sound.. the power LED on the amp didnt even light up..

could the fuse be blown or is the amp totally f@cked up...

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 287
To late now but the first rule with car amps is to unhook the battery. You could have fried something but maybe not. Check the in-line fuse and the fuse at the amp. Also check the remote wire with a test bulb to make sure you have power when the head unit is turned on. I had an amp that the ground come off so I put it back and saw some sparks also. I never did get it to work again. I broke the first rule too.

hector martinez II
Unregistered guest
:-( Thanks for responding man.

Do you think the local electronics repair shop can fix it if its fried?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 290
You can look into that or try to contact the amp's maker. Most name brands will fix their amps for a fee. I know MTX told me $95 and they fix any of their amps no matter what's wrong with them.

hector m.
Unregistered guest
cool. Thank you very much for the help man.
I'll just leave it up to my bud then.. see what his wallet allows.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us